Search the forum,

Discuss Advice in triming doors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

This Porta-Plane by Porter Cable goes in and out of production, based on demand I guess. If you can find on you'll agree that it is worth every dollar (or pound :thumbsup: ) It's one of the smoothest, most well-made tools that I own. It has a fence on it that tilts so you can set the angle for the bevel needed on the strike side of the door. WHile you are trimming the door, you can tune up the strike and the head on the door and make some extra money and leave the customer with a better working door.

Porter-Cable 9118 Porta-Plane Kit

One other tip is to score a line with a straightedge and a sharp utility knife, and then cut with the saw to just shy of the line-then use a planer or sander to take it to the score line. This will eliminate blowouts on the face of the door.:thumbsup:

good looking machine mate! the full body fence will make it easier for getting a true square cut.

R

Rob Z

TFS,

the long sole on that plane helps to avoid snipe, and the helical cutters cut so smoothly that many times I can take the plane to the edge with no blow out.

M

mikethetile

porter cable make excellant tools for the proffesional

i had a porter cable router which was a joy to use, i was gutted when it was stolen

all the advise given above is correct

but you have to take the door off and we all know that when you remove a badly hung door you take ownership of it

also you end up making good . removing broken screws, glueing wood into oversize holes etc

this all takes time when all you want to do is shoot the bottom off to clear your tiles

invest in a doortrimmer and save yourself time and money

it takes 5 minutes to set up and shoot off in situ

how many of us allow half a day on the price to pratt about with a couple of doors

Reply to Advice in triming doors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen