Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive advice - decoupling membrane in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Anna79

Hi all.

We are having a tiling job done with dural matting over plywood.

We were supplied with the adhesive in picture attached.

Is this considered unmodified thinset? Is this OK to use both under and over the matting?
-Please see post 4 for image.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DP Tiling

It's recommended that decouplers are fixed with an S2 grade adhesive which usually is a 2 part. Single part flex is usually only C2F. Check with the manufacturer if you're unsure.

Reaction score
Durabase is an excellent product however, I haven't had any experience of this adhesive you have.

As said above, you would be best to use a flexible adhesive, at least S1 rating, if not S2. Unfortunately, some adhesives say flexible on the packet but, if its not S1 rated, it's not as flexible as others that are.

A

Anna79

Thanks so much for the replies.

Apologies I mixed up the adhesives. The one being used is the one below, it is manufactured by Norcross (other one is for the bathroom tiles).

It is c2f certified.

We will be installing on 18 mm wpb plywood. The instructions on the back say that the plywood should be treated with acrylic bonding and priming agent. Will Prime IT FP primer do the job?

Also, we have seen so much advice against pva'ing plywood before tiling, is Prime IT considered like PVA?.

Company hotline closed over Easter.

Attachments

• IMG_2015040316733.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2015040319312.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_201504037867.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DP Tiling

Prime it FP is acrylic based so is perfect for this, C2F classification means C - cement based
2 - polymer modified (flexible)
F - fast setting.

Most if not all S1/S2 will also have this certification. So the adhesive you need will likely be a C2F S2.

Reaction score
'Prime it' ,is not PVA. It looks to be suitable for your job although, remember to use it in the correct resolution. Primer/water mix.
What you have there should be fine although an S1 adhesive would certainly be better and, I always recommend using the adhesive manufactures own primers as there are proven with there adhesives.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Personally I won't go anywhere near Norcros. Countless problems with their white spf, 4 into 1 grout and pro50 leveller. If you're using Ultra's primer I'd be inclined to use their adhesives if you can. I'm exclusively Ultra and Tilemaster these days. Quality products and exceptional customer service from Tilemaster especially.

Reply to Adhesive advice - decoupling membrane in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen