Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Working out a price off an architects drawing in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

I'm sat at home hopelessly trying to make sense of some drawings that are 1:50,000,000 scale, and came across this little beauty on page 3

u6ypenuj.jpg

Has anyone successfully done an accurate price from a drawing? I've tried a couple of times and have never been anywhere near. This job is in London so it's not as if I can just pop out and take a look at it.

Q

Qwerty

I have before Bri, but in the end spoke to the architect directly as he was specifying things similar to that in your plans......6mm ply! In the end I got the price bang on, but I had to explain adhesive bed depths and classes of adhesives to him. Bless them, they know a bit about everything in the building industry but not quite enough to be an expert in every area!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do it all the time mate and more often than not turn up to start the job without having seen it. Sometimes it's a nightmare, sometimes it goes like a dream. One thing I always put on my quote is "subject to final measure" as quite often the job varies in size from what the drawing says

W

White Room

I've still got an old scale rule in a draw, I used to on the plastering side but it never mentions about having to work round everybody else.

I

Ian

There are a lot of variants, all stone, no mention of substrates apart from one room, the measurements are very vague! I'm pretty sure I could have had a better go at this myself. No doubt all the walls will be skimmed and 'ready' for the stone to be fixed :lol: Every time I've tried to price a job blind there's always something that crops up to spoil the party, 99% of the time it's the prep, the m2 is always easy enough to work out. I hate not being able to see a room before hand, it's always nice to wave a 6 foot level around the place :lol:

T

tfs

6mm ply was the thing that stood out to me :)

I would travel to see if it was a worthwile job. I would also challenge the specs if I didn't have confidence in them as they will probs hold part of payment as retention.

could be a good one for you though mate

I

Ian

6mm ply was the thing that stood out to me :)

I would travel to see if it was a worthwile job. I would also challenge the specs if I didn't have confidence in them as they will probs hold part of payment as retention.

could be a good one for you though mate

I've just spoke to the site manager and he said just to spec it how I normally would, the job has come from a recommendation so that's a good start. It's 3 bathrooms and a kitchen floor so, would be nice to get for the new year. All substrates are chipboard, and all tiles are stone! What a combo.

P

Pebbs

Bri, I spend a lot of time going over drawings, the majority of our work starts here. Ask if they have a copy of the M40 specification, on that should be a lot of the information you are looking for. Im saying this because they will specify which adhesive, grout, water proofing, trims etc for the whole job. Also make sure you make a budget price for core holes, etc etc. When you submit a price in, list out exactly what is NOT included for in your quote. They try and tie you to a fixed price, and you have to bring the old phrase....but in my quote it clearly states this wasnt included for. Also Bri if there is anything you are concerned about from the drawings, bring it up under a RFI section (request further information).

If you cant scale it off on the scale rule onto A4 or A3 without the measurements blurring, take your first set measurement ie door opening at 900mm, then mark it up on the scale rule with a pencil, umm I dont think I explained that very well.

Bri if you need a hand, pm me.

Good luck

Lynn

I

Ian

I reckon I've about got it sussed Lynn, 5 mins on the phone cleared up any major issues I had. The scale seems to be quite accurate, it was just the spec that was a bit vague. Thanks for the words of advice, it's very much appreciated.

Reply to Working out a price off an architects drawing in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks