Search the forum,

Discuss Working out a price off an architects drawing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I'm sat at home hopelessly trying to make sense of some drawings that are 1:50,000,000 scale, and came across this little beauty on page 3

u6ypenuj.jpg

Has anyone successfully done an accurate price from a drawing? I've tried a couple of times and have never been anywhere near. This job is in London so it's not as if I can just pop out and take a look at it.

Q

Qwerty

I have before Bri, but in the end spoke to the architect directly as he was specifying things similar to that in your plans......6mm ply! In the end I got the price bang on, but I had to explain adhesive bed depths and classes of adhesives to him. Bless them, they know a bit about everything in the building industry but not quite enough to be an expert in every area!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do it all the time mate and more often than not turn up to start the job without having seen it. Sometimes it's a nightmare, sometimes it goes like a dream. One thing I always put on my quote is "subject to final measure" as quite often the job varies in size from what the drawing says

W

White Room

I've still got an old scale rule in a draw, I used to on the plastering side but it never mentions about having to work round everybody else.

I

Ian

There are a lot of variants, all stone, no mention of substrates apart from one room, the measurements are very vague! I'm pretty sure I could have had a better go at this myself. No doubt all the walls will be skimmed and 'ready' for the stone to be fixed :lol: Every time I've tried to price a job blind there's always something that crops up to spoil the party, 99% of the time it's the prep, the m2 is always easy enough to work out. I hate not being able to see a room before hand, it's always nice to wave a 6 foot level around the place :lol:

T

tfs

6mm ply was the thing that stood out to me :)

I would travel to see if it was a worthwile job. I would also challenge the specs if I didn't have confidence in them as they will probs hold part of payment as retention.

could be a good one for you though mate

I

Ian

6mm ply was the thing that stood out to me :)

I would travel to see if it was a worthwile job. I would also challenge the specs if I didn't have confidence in them as they will probs hold part of payment as retention.

could be a good one for you though mate

I've just spoke to the site manager and he said just to spec it how I normally would, the job has come from a recommendation so that's a good start. It's 3 bathrooms and a kitchen floor so, would be nice to get for the new year. All substrates are chipboard, and all tiles are stone! What a combo.

Reply to Working out a price off an architects drawing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen