Discuss White bathroom tiles turning blue / grey? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all. Back end of last year we had a new bathroom installed with a walk in shower. About 6 weeks ago we noticed the bottom tiles around the shower tray were looking a bit off colour. It seems they have absorbed some water somehow. I have attached a pic so you can see. We decided to leave the shower alone and use the bath instead in the hope the tiles would dry out and turn white again after not too long. 6 weeks on and they are definitely better, but still not totally back to how they were originally. I’m going to get back to the bathroom company that fitted everything and ask them to rectify the situation but obviously as we have been in lockdown this hasn’t been possible yet. Anyway, they weren’t the most helpful / competent in the first place so would like some more opinions as to what the problem may be before contacting them. I have attached a photo from when we first noticed the problem. Any ideas as to what may be going on would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Fred.

8F11E309-263C-4939-AEAB-B0534AA53306.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me. I can’t see any major voids no, but there are a few little pockets I would say. I have attached some more pictures. The first is a small hole in the grout. Second picture is where the sealant has come away from the grout (this has happened in a fair few places). Third picture is where it looks like one tile has been cut a little small and the edge of the cut is right along the line of the sealant - doesn’t look like the sealant actually overlaps the tile properly here. I wonder if any/all of these could be the issue?
Also as it has been 6 weeks now and the tiles are still a little off colour, it makes me concerned that the wall behind is wet. I did request for the walls to be properly tanked but I have suspicions that it wasn’t as they seemed reluctant and I didn’t see them tank it.

86EA87C3-BF40-4A38-B6C9-A089CF9C703F.jpeg

F01E0192-4706-4508-8567-7890662F36F3.jpeg

BD479D44-CD23-4648-852A-B0A60A1EC32F.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It would be my first suspicion, especially the last image of where it doesn't meet the tile. Deeping on the location of that it will definitely be letting some water in. You could try stripping back the silicone to help air it out as it needs re done anyway

Reaction score
Ok cool, thank you that’s really helpful. Regarding the tanking, if it turns out the wall wasn’t tanked as I suspect, is this likely to be part of the problem / a future issue?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The lack of tanking (if not there) won't be causing the issue but equally wouldn't be helping in anyway as it would be protecting the tiled surface if it was there but yes you could have some issues with the gyproc behind if it that's what was used as the water will be wicking up it. Enquire if it was a service you paid for. Have they posted any progress pictures on social media which may also help you see the different stages?

Reaction score
Great, thank you. It was something we agreed would be done yes. No photos online unfortunately. I was at home most evenings during the process though so saw it all progressing. The reason I have suspicions about it not being tanked is because one evening the walls were pink plaster skim, the next evening they were tiled, and I expected there to be a day or so in between that while any tanking that was applied to the wall dried. But am definitely no expert so not sure what could have been done in that time.

cat123

-
Reaction score
I have a similar issue, 2 white tiles at the bath edge turned a blue hue. I fitted the tiles 5 years ago and replaced the silicone around the bath 3 months ago. I had been renting out the house and while I had no damp issues beforehand tenants had not adequately ventilated I think. The bathroom is now used a lot as I have two lodgers now. I noticed a hairline crack between the silicone and grout at the corner of these two tiles. Will these tiles dry out if I pull the silicone away or will I need to replace them?

Reply to White bathroom tiles turning blue / grey? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks