Discuss Which is the best way to tile over electric UFH system ? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tony4173

Hi guys,

OK so the customer has done the prep work i.e, fitted the backer boards with flexi tile adhesive and 100's of screws to secure the boards. He's fitted the electrical UFH system and the floor is now ready to tile.Which is the best way to tile over the UFH system ? I recommended to the customer a layer of flexi self leveling compound over the system before tiling to en-sure longevity to the floor i.e eliminating cracking grout joints and possible loose tiles caused by the heat over a period of time.

He says just tile straight over the system with flexi tile adhesive and it will be ok. Just want to ask you guys.

A. Is it hard to tile straight over the system with the wires and what not every where.and how difficult is it as opposed to tiling straight over the self leveling compound.

B. Would you recommend my way or his way ?

And yes i have tiled quite a lot of floors but never over a UHF system.

Thanks

I

Ian

Always encase the wires in SLC, it makes fitting easier and ensures there are no hollows under the tiles, which would cause hot spots. A much more professional installation.

T

tony4173

Thanks for your reply Bri.

I assume your saying my recommendation is the right way for longevity of the flooring and for better tile adhesion to the UHF system and all round easier to tile on ?

Thanks

D

DHTiling

Encapsulation of the wires in SLC is my preferred method all day long but that does not say you cannot do it the customers way either.. :)

Use the flat edge of your trowel and float the wires in with adhesive to cover over , then back comb the tile with adhesive and bed into situ to create solid bed...

The only down side of second method is that if you have to lift a tile to adjust etc.. then it pulls on the wires.. but it is a method that can be done ..

I prefer to SLC method as then i can work away , safely knowing i will not damage the UFH wires and can lay tiles and lift with no worries etc..

Plus if the customer ever damaged a tile , then it is easier to replace if the UFH has been SLC'd before hand..

Reaction score
Some UFH do say you don't need SLC over the wires and you can tile straight on top of the wires (I did one 2wks ago Warm-Up ProWire).. So maybe the customer has read the instuctions & is going with that.

We all know to SLC is a better way, but also for practical reasons it makes the job easier without worrying about the cables.

I'd never go straight over the cables, too much risk of damage.

If it were me, I'd call round the day or night before and lay some SLC, then it will be ready for you on day 1

T

tony4173

Thanx for the advise guys much appreciated. I have spoken to the customer and hes getting back to me at dinner time today,he seems to want me to tile straight over the system to reduce the self leveling adhesive costs but i would assume the amount of flexi adhesive needed to fill all the voids,hollows and gaps under the wires would probably cost the same maybe ! I think i might give this one a miss if he don't self level it first. Or, like I said to him on the phone if cracks appear or tiles start lifting further down the line then i cant be to blame as i advised you the proper way. Don't think its worth the hassle if anything does go wrong.

If ya not happy with it, DON'T DO IT !

Martin you can have the job it's in Leeds lol

D

DHTiling

The SLC will not stop cracking.. the substrate should be load worthy beforehand ... don't turn the job down IMO... it is doable both ways..

T

tony4173

15m2 kitchen floor i am charging him £***, that's cheap but its only that price because I have done a lot of work in his house over 2 years..What would your price be considering it aint that straight forward tiling over the wires ? is it worth it what I'm charging ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

15m2 kitchen floor i am charging him £***, that's cheap but its only that price because I have done a lot of work in his house over 2 years..What would your price be considering it aint that straight forward tiling over the wires ? is it worth it what I'm charging ?

***quid.... jeeeeez cheapo or wot :)

Reaction score
per day?

I wouldn't even be answering my phone when he rings if thats the total price of the job!!

- adhesive
- Grout
- Tax / diesel, usual costs
- damage to UFH
= you owe him about £300

T

tony4173

That price is just for labour costs he is paying for all the tiles, adhesive etc and hes picking me up and dropping me off.

It did say that price but it was edited out by the moderator for some reason.

Reaction score
depends on your curcumstances as to whether its a good price or not.
If you do it in 1 day, its a good price.
but I doubt it very much.

For me, I'd rather have control over my jobs. But it sounds like he's in control to me though, for that reason, I'm Out!

T

tony4173

Its more or less a square room the kitchen is not fitted. 1 day to tile it half a day to grout and clean up the next day...That's why i wont be doing it if i have to tile directly on to the UHF system too much hard work for a small price me thinks. I'll wait and see when he gets back to me

Reply to Which is the best way to tile over electric UFH system ? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks