Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss what is best proceduref laying stone on to old concrte base in church. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

I have just been appointed for a very interesting fixing job in a catholic church near me.
Existing oak block flooring( which had dry rot mainly in aisles and walkways) has been removed in last few days to reveal a sub base that looks essentially to be 6 inches of concrete with no dpm. Wood block was laid over hundred years ago when church built, on a pitch adhesive which I imagine acted as dpm at the time.
Now the bitumen has all broken up and disintegrated with the the top skim layer over concrete base leaving a rough textured finish.
I dont know how builders used to get a flat smooth finish to concrete hundred years ago but it would seem it is this thin layer that has broken up with pitch leaving the surface we now have.
There is only one visible crack in concrete over whole area which is 2 linear metres between two stone columns.
I have some ideas about how i would approach this, now sub floor revealed but would be interested in anyones opinion as to how they would prepare before tiling.

Ditra mat is not discounted as an option, but the considerations are I guess, the rough texture of concrete now, the lack of dpm and therefore a natural damp problem assuming of course that there is not hydro static pressure from floor level being lower than water table, which i dont believe to be the case.
if anyone has done this before i would be interested in what process followed and in what order as i am getting very conflicting advice from different adhesive /primer manufacturers .

G

Gazzer

Re: what is best proceduref laying stone on to old concrte base in chu

Any height restrictions ?

J

jonnyc

yes basically need to get back close to previous finished floor level, so that discounts new plastic dpm and screed . i have to deal with what i have got now level wise.
wood blocks were 25mm.
with latex/ditra/adhesive/stone will be approx 30-35 mm which will have to be acceptable and thresholds at church entry points may need to be adjusted.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ardex K15.
Ditra and the rest is job done.

D

DHTiling

Is there DPM in the walls..?... if you use Ditra then there is the problem of shifting damp through the dispersal channels towards the walls..

J

jonnyc

No Dpm in the walls that I know of .
i agree that if I use ditra and especially if I tape joints with kerdi Coll then moisture would travel sideways as it is designed to do ,which is no good, but I dont want to discount ditra as would like the value of it as separating membrane between tile and concrete not just to prevent moisture coming up.
dave I have put together a spec in my mind and can write this down if members prefer but I have found in the past that if I give too much details of what I think, then sometimes I get very little response. I am self taught and some of beliefs are not necessarily

J

jonnyc

My current thoughts are:
ball p131 primer.
ball green bag withh 114 additive to smooth out rough concrete base.Only thinking of this latex as compatible with base that has moisture in it, because of no Dpm.
ball stop 75 liquid Dpm followed by ditra mat fixed with flexible adhesive.
fix stone on top of ditra with setaflex.
what do you think ?

Any thoughts welcome

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Jonny, you've just given a very similar spec to what I've used a few times when laying vinyl floors. P131 (Which I still use more than any other primer) We used a different latex and then Laybond DPM. As we were laying vinyl the DPM was latexed over again but had to be primed first. All I would say is check if the DPM you use can accept the tile adhesive directly or if it should be primed first. Can't remember if neat 131 was used to prime it or if something else was supplied.

J

jonnyc

Jonny, you've just given a very similar spec to what I've used a few times when laying vinyl floors. P131 (Which I still use more than any other primer) We used a different latex and then Laybond DPM. As we were laying vinyl the DPM was latexed over again but had to be primed first. All I would say is check if the DPM you use can accept the tile adhesive directly or if it should be primed first. Can't remember if neat 131 was used to prime it or if something else was supplied.
I am not set on using ball products. They are just the only one looked at so far.
i will definitely use tilemaster adhesive but don't think they have a liquid Dpm or latex suitable for overlaying a subfloor with no Dpm.
i would rather use same manufacturer throughout.
is lay bond best price for this type of latex required .

R

rainsco

hi jonny, i have done a church in germany years ago and this was a special thing. we had to use grave for the ground, then a lean concrete and absolutly no waterproofing because otherwise you got the water in the walls. but this was in the ground floor without wood and so on.

Reply to what is best proceduref laying stone on to old concrte base in church. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks