Search the forum,

Discuss What happens after you leave a job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygit

I just found this while looking around on the internet and it made me wonder what goes on after you leave a job at the end of the day.

I'd like to see what the job looked liked after it had been scrubbed with detergent a few hours after it was finished.

Hi everyone
I found this site by googling cleaning porcelain floor tiles! Mine were laid today, and already I'm regretting them . . .
The tiles are black - the fitter used white grout which left a film over them. The fitter tried to clean it off, but made things worse. He advised me to leave it till the grout has dried, as wetting the tiles was just causing more residue.
It's now 11pm and I've been trying to clean them with detergent and water, but although they look great wet, once they dry they're covered with the white film.
Buying black tiles was mistake one. Mistake two was the white grout. I think mistake three is the kind of tile - it's not the shiny variety, it's unglazed, and has a bumpy surface. It looks like stone. The salesman in the tile shop persuaded me they were the best buy.
Reading your tips I wonder if most of you have the shiny type, which I now realise (with the benefit of hindsight) would clean easily.
I really don't know what to do. I don't want to make things worse - am scared of using vinegar for this reason - but the dream bathroom I've saved up for for so long has turned into a nightmare.
Does anyone else have experience of this type of porcelain tile?
I'd welcome any advice - in fact just reading your messages is beginning to calm me down a bit.
Lesley:\?
http://www.countryliving.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/2021

J

julie67

lol i was lookin on that site was was laughin at the the bit below that says "HOWEVER this is just what the Tiler says", hmmmmmmm

Hi Sheba2
I too have a large area of beige porcelain tiles. There is grout residue which is taking time to get off. My tiler has just told me to put a little white vinegar in the water as this is a mild acid and will clean it off. HOWEVER this is just what the tiler said, and I have not researched or tested this out yet. Best to ask a tile manufacturer or provider first in case it's not the right thing to do. They will be able to tell you.
I did use white vinegar and water to clean residue from terracotta tiles in my conservatory, and it worked a treat. HOWEVER check first, as it may damage some surfaces.

Reply to What happens after you leave a job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen