Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom, Anhydite, Ditra, Mosaic in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Morning All.

I have 3 wetrooms on a anhydrite screed coming up and I am initially thinking of the way I plan to spec it.

The usual anhydrite preparation I'm well aware of and I was thinking of installing Ditra so it just laps onto the tray. The customer has decided he wants the 3 floors doing in 50mm mosaics.

Has anybody tiled 50mm mosaics onto Ditra? Did they fill the cavities first then lay the mosaics once the adhesive in the cavities cured or fill the cavities, 6mm notch and then lay the mosaics at the same time?

Should there be enough adhesive contact with the mosaic as with the Ditra design and using a 6mm trowel the mosaic will be in parts be pressed against the "plastic" parts of the Ditra.

Is there any other uncoupling and fully waterproofing flat system on the market?

Cheers for any thoughts.

Kevin

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you do it quick enough or or small enough areas to not let the adhesive cure in then cavities? I assume if you skimmed the matting one day and tiled it the next you're affecting the bond to the matting?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Would you do it quick enough or or small enough areas to not let the adhesive cure in then cavities? I assume if you skimmed the matting one day and tiled it the next you're affecting the bond to the matting?

Not at all no , quite a few skim in first ... all your doing is filling the dovetails .

M

MTiler

Morning All.

I have 3 wetrooms on a anhydrite screed coming up and I am initially thinking of the way I plan to spec it.

The usual anhydrite preparation I'm well aware of and I was thinking of installing Ditra so it just laps onto the tray. The customer has decided he wants the 3 floors doing in 50mm mosaics.

Has anybody tiled 50mm mosaics onto Ditra? Did they fill the cavities first then lay the mosaics once the adhesive in the cavities cured or fill the cavities, 6mm notch and then lay the mosaics at the same time?

Should there be enough adhesive contact with the mosaic as with the Ditra design and using a 6mm trowel the mosaic will be in parts be pressed against the "plastic" parts of the Ditra.

Is there any other uncoupling and fully waterproofing flat system on the market?

Cheers for any thoughts.

Kevin

50mm mosaics is the smallest size you can lay on Ditra. Surely filling in Ditra and letting it cure before fixing tiles is defeating the object of using Ditra in the first place?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
50mm mosaics is the smallest size you can lay on Ditra. Surely filling in Ditra and letting it cure before fixing tiles is defeating the object of using Ditra in the first place?
That's what I thought.

Isn't that then the same as fixing to a screed in some sense?

Or maybe half way between not using ditra and using it. Or something.

I thought the full benefit of the dovetails was to adhere the tile to them. But skimming them first seems to be taking away that security. No?

Reaction score
I would fill in the cavities first, let it dry then, proceed with the mosaics.
Adhesive doesn't really stick to the matting so they put the cavities in as a way of almost mechanically fixing the tile. But adhesive will fix fine to adhesive when fully dry so I can't see the problem here. The uncoupling system still works as the movement textile underneath is still uncoupling the layers.
Otherwise, perhaps use ditrabase?No cavities to fill in then.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that bit. I just thought the fixing in one go was the way to use ditra to be honest but perhaps not then.

The mechanical fixing with dural is the webbing isn't it?
Perhaps wise with mosaics?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do float first, do you find that you need to go 45 degree one way, then back again the opposite way you just came, to really push the adhesive in the corners of the dovetails? Or if the mix is right just it just settle in the corners easily enough anyway?

Reply to Wetroom, Anhydite, Ditra, Mosaic in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen