Discuss Using Rubi Tile cutter on porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tilerjo2009

Hi all

I have a problem cutting porcelain tiles with my new Rubi tile cutter (TS-60 Plus). Although I am an amateur tiler (as in a fairly skilled DIY way) I have successfully tiled in ceramic previously, but this is my first foray into porcelain. My (very expensive) Porcelain tiles are 400 x 400 and dont snap cleanly unless I am scoring appoximately in the center. I am trying to cut 280 / 120 but they snap successfully down to about 2/3 of the way then veer off to the side.

I bought some cheapo tiles from B&Q to practice on which worked like a dream. I thought they were porcelain but maybe I was wrong!

Any tips gratefully received!

Cheers

B

BTB

I have experienced this before when the breaking point on the Rubi had flattened through use, but if yours is new this shouldn't be the case.

Try spinning the tile and applying pressure at both ends of the scored line.

T

tkm18

Where are they from?

Used a 400x400 porcy from CTD last year that had to be wet cut.

Might just be that the tiles you have wont cut right with a manual cutter.

D

DHTiling

On the single point breakers like the ts 60 etc...you have to what is called shock the tile...

By this i mean when you pull the breaker handle you pull it with a quick short sharp burst....making sure the tile is laid flat and some presuure from the free hand is applied to the opposite end of the tile on the peice of tile you wish to break off.

Also you can score the back of the tile and break upside down, that can work as well or as a last resort break over the handle after scoring but wear gloves...

I would say a movable breaker rubi is better for fully vitrified tiles.:thumbsup:..something like the TX or TR series cutters.

D

dagger

people will moan but the ts60plus is my main cutter,

anyway, to get around this problem

1. score the tile firmly

2.move the score line over until it is just overhanging the edge of the bed of the cutter.

3. put your left foot on the cutter next to the rail, and your right foot on the right hand side of the tile.

4. a short sharp STAMP with the right foot and a perfect break!

p.s the breaker is useless on some porcelains, which is why i should upgrade to a bigger tx700 etc.
but while this method is working for me, and the tiles fit under the scribe its onward and upward!

give it a try before you give up!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tilerjo2009

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I have bought "Casa Mood Neutra gres" Italian porcelain tiles from Worlds End showroom. They are quite smooth and matt.

This afternoon I have gone through about 2 boxes so far practicing (hopefully I can reuse bits). Thanks Dave for the point about short sharp burst on the breaker - I am quite successful cutting down the middle - even for very thin bits (can get down to 30 x 400 mm). However it seems to be an issue when cutting off centre - so far I have had 1 success out of ten tiles! I even tried left hand vs right hand side, and it veered off the other way.

I do have a small DIY wet tile cutter - but dont think this is adequate! Any suggestions for hiring one?

Cheers
Jo

D

DHTiling

HSS hire them out but you could probs buy one cheaper and then just sell it on here or ebay if you require it no more.

A

Aztectiler

I have a number of tile cutters and always always use my TX700 for porcelain tiles. This has a moveable breaker system and far more efficiant than the TS brand. The Ts is a very adequate cutter as I also have one of these aswell but as I tile for a living then thats the reason I have a few.

Hope this helps:hurray:

T

tilerjo2009

Thanks all for your help - I have got a couple of adequate cuts now and have come to the conclusion that all I need is practice + more tiles - or a professional!

Cheers
Jo:8:

D

dagger

Thanks all for your help - I have got a couple of adequate cuts now and have come to the conclusion that all I need is practice + more tiles - or a professional!

Cheers
Jo:8:
did you try the stamp on it method?

i gotta know!

most peeps will cut my arm off for even mentioning it!

W

wall2floortilin

try changing the cutting wheel to 18mm gold(tile trader), depending on how the porcelaine has been fired you may not get a deep enough cut using a ts60plus and if its double compressed, definatly use this wheel, as some one else pointed out the tx eliminates this problem with the breaking system. Our rubi rep lee will gladly show you the best way to use tx 60 plus as if you are used to using a ts 40 the hammer action needs to change. also try using your fingers either side of the scribe line about 2" down from the breaker! works for me:hurray:

D

davy_G

Some great advice there and genarally i have no problems cutting porcelain with my rubi...except; on two occasions using glazed smooth porcelain I have had to wet cut as there was no way the tiles would break straight, no matter what method and even starting the cut at both ends with the wet cutter. I was beat:mad2:. I cant remember their name but I hope i never see them again! either 400 or 450 square.

Most porcelain, i can ust a 20mm strip off tiles so it was definitely the tiles.....or was it!:20:

Reply to Using Rubi Tile cutter on porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks