Discuss Using 610 x 610 x 15 marble tiles on bathoom walls in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DOGFISHRATPEOPL

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions on using marble stone on walls.

I was going to go with 610mm x610mm x 15mm on the floors and 610mm x 406mm x 12mm on the walls.

However after looking at photos from 2 companies, the batches for the 610 x 610 x 15 look a lot nicer from both of them, this has made me think about using them for the walls as well. Also if these were to go on the walls then the bath panel would be covered from top to bottom in one tile high and area under the window could be done with one tile high, same with above the door.

The room is 2.4m2 and 2.4m high. Will be tiled from floor to ceiling.

My only concern is the weight and size of the tiles for the walls.

They should have an ideal base as I removed all the old blown render back to the bare brick wall and all the walls have been given a new sand and cement render by my plasterer, done about 3-4 weeks ago.

From what I have read this apparently should be strong enough to hold tiles up to 15mm thick.

I guess I technically know it can be done. But just wouldn't want to do it if I am taking a risk. Having a marble tile coming down on you while in the bath or shower that's 610 x 610 x 15 would be dangerous.

I would like to know what the majority of tilers out there think.

Am I worrying too much?

Many thanks

James

O

Old Mod

The recommended weight limit for sand and cement render from memory is 40kg m2
With adhesive and grout weighing approx 4kgm2 that gives u around 30-34kgm2 to play with for the weight of your marble.

S

Sean SML Tiling

I personally think your going to be over the limit on those 60x60's. If it was me i would be mechanically fixing insulation boards that's can guarantee to hold the weight.

Reaction score
I have just fitted this size and thickness of tile this week,after feeling the weight of one there is no way I would fit these on walls

si.cleary

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As I understand it, it's 40-50kg m2. Another consideration is new render should be allowed to dry for at least 2 weeks before tiles are fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, every days a learning day.

si.cleary

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My bad, just read initial post and a few weeks have already past, so all good! After adhesive and grout you should still have 40kg + to play with.

Last edited:

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
Rendered walls - (Maximum weight loading 40kg – 50kg/m2):
Tiles can be fixed directly onto sand and cement renders this is an ideal base particularly for very thick handmade
tiles and natural materials such as slate and stone etc. New render must be at least 14 days old (21 days in total
immersion areas), or until suitably dry, prior to tiling. Dusty surfaces must be thoroughly dry brushed. Porous renders
must be primed with Fired Earth Primer diluted 1:4 with water. The primer must be completely dry prior to tilin

got this of the fired earth website . and i was wrong ,

Reply to Using 610 x 610 x 15 marble tiles on bathoom walls in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks