Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cfrazerg

Hi Everyone,

Im Quite a novice at this DIY lark. I want to put underfloor heating in my newly built extension kitchen/dining area. Should I put a additional timber on top of my floorboards and then insulation boards on top of the boarding too before I start to lay the heating mat ?

Some people say you should put a levelling compound on top of the electric matting or can I just use flexible adhesive on top of matting when laying my tiles? Also whats the best flexible adhesive to use. My only concern is the area is about 45m2 and if I was to self level on matting then use adhesive it would be incredably expensive for such a large area yet I dont want to cut costs.

Hope someone can help cheers.

G

Gazzer

In regards to you wanting to cut costs. Whether you use leveller or adhesive over the heating works out roughly the same.
It is better to level then tile as its a safety measure against damage to the cables plus you will have no air pockets which you may well do if you just use adhesive direct to the cables.

C

cfrazerg

Ok thanks for that.

As I will need SLC and then Adhesive for 45m2 is there anywhere I can buy these in bulk as I have read a 25kg bag will only roughly do 1m2 depending on thickness. Screwfix and most places I have looked only do 25kg bags so would need about 45 at £20 a throw this would cost £900 and thats without the adhesive too.

G

Gazzer

This all depends on what tile stockists you have near you.
Try googling places like CTD, TileTown, Tile Giant.

I think from memory CTD will sell Weber and Bal
TileTown, Weber and Tilemaster
Tile Giant , Mapei

Sadly there are no shortcuts in a correctly prepped job only comebacks.

G

Gazzer

On other matters, have you thought of getting a tiler in. While you may think its cheaper to DIY you may find a professional could do the job correct, quicker and maybe even pass on some trade savings.
Laying electric underfloor heating has its issues, the main own being floatation of the cable when pouring the leveller. The cables or mats need to be laid correctly 1st though and we see many classic mistakes that can ruin the installation.
Quotes dont cost and I feel its worth getting a few before making any costly mistakes.

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi Everyone,

Im Quite a novice at this DIY lark. I want to put underfloor heating in my newly built extension kitchen/dining area. Should I put a additional timber on top of my floorboards and then insulation boards on top of the boarding too before I start to lay the heating mat ?

Some people say you should put a levelling compound on top of the electric matting or can I just use flexible adhesive on top of matting when laying my tiles? Also whats the best flexible adhesive to use. My only concern is the area is about 45m2 and if I was to self level on matting then use adhesive it would be incredably expensive for such a large area yet I dont want to cut costs.

Hope someone can help cheers.

Although you are on the right tracks and Neils advice is valid, with your 'novice' skills this sounds a job too far!

C

cfrazerg

Thanks for all everyones advice. I may be a novice but My DIY skills are not bad although never put underfloor heating down before. I have tiled my old bathroom and kitchen and both looked pretty good. Id love to pay a profesional for most of my jobs but as most of my money has gone on the new house I have to do it all myself.

I reckon I could do most DIY jobs physically its the knowledge of what to do correctly that worries me.

Ill be using 6mm Styrofoam as insulation above the plywood Ill put down to cover floorboards. Ill use adhesive to put them down but then should I prime the insulation boards before I put my Klima UFH down.

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen