Search the forum,

Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I hold grinder in right hand, blade to the left and put my left hand thumb on the guard and fingers of LH on the tile to steady cut, wouldn't try that with Julian's grinder though..
Will give this a try thanks. So you are just holding the grinder with right hand and guiding with the left?

D

Dumbo

Saw a tip on insta other day..on an L cut scribe score both lines then go in with grinder from the waste corner to corner where both scores meet and snap the two pieces independently on scribe cutter.. Yet to try it but sounds like it would work..
I do that drill, score , grind but break with a sigma separator

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just Rizzle

if im on a site i put down some wet sand put tile on top and cut through. the wet sand cools and lubs the blade. for porceline tiles may use with a moist sponge against the blade. have been using this technique for twenty plus years H and S would have a fit lol
i always score the tile first and cut to the right have guard on

L

LM

I did try it not clamped sitting on an offcut of carpet but felt the tile was vibrating a little and seemed to chip a little more, so I just clamped it and made it easier to cut but clamps etc get in the way and as it's a split face tile not easy to clamp it flat, maybe a weight such as a beanbag could weigh it down enough and absorb some vibration.
Just use a half bag of addy or a bag of grout

L

LM

I generally do a light pass just to the side of a pre scored line first then I move the grinder forwards and backwards the length of the cut until I’m through. The amount of passes varies with material and blade. I also think it stops the material over heating too much as your moving the contact with the blade and preventing constant heat build up.
For me I’m too conscious of blade burst so I always have a guard on and keep my head to the side of the cut never above it.
An abrasive wheel course is mandatory with me and is an hour of your life worth spending, after it I doubt you’d risk working with a gaurdless grinder.
I like the logic of the grinder throwing the dust away I just as of yet haven’t been able to get comfortable with it so if conditions need it I’ll use a wet sponge to the back of the wheel with a bag of something holding the piece in place.

O

Old Mod

I like the logic of the grinder throwing the dust away I just as of yet haven’t been able to get comfortable with it so if conditions need it I’ll use a wet sponge to the back of the wheel with a bag of something holding the piece in place.

I actually find it far easier to control.
If you’re pushing, being even slightly too heavy handed causes the cutting head to waiver.
Whereas ‘dragging’ the cutting head, it stays true.
It’s also safer in the event of a ‘snag’
If it snags while pulling, it actually comes toward you and you automatically grip it tighter bringing it under control.
With the blade on the left and pushing forward, the tail of the grinder tends to waiver as you push.
If it snags it’s pulled away from you and is easily pulled from your grasp, loosing control.
Only trouble is, I haven’t been able to find that 3rd hand to hold a sponge whilst pulling toward me, so I’ve had to go back to using a grinder in the more conventionally accepted way, pushing with blade on the left. Thats the only way I can cool the blade whilst cutting.

Reply to Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen