Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I bet anyone if you cut these, and 90m2 of this crap, and don’t get a chip, no matter what blade grinder or false teeth you are using, i will give you my wife for twenty five years :)
Worst porcelain ive ever used

02B2B4F8-3AB6-4A7D-AC38-DAB906B383B2.jpeg BC204F7A-0F9C-4F18-826E-564F5E970D99.jpeg

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Any more hints and tips?
How do you secure your work piece down for cutting?
Do you use the handle that comes with the grinder?
Do you rest your hand as a guide on the tile to balance the grinder?

F

Flintstone

I don't clamp tiles generally, only if it's a cut where it won't balance or its vibrating excessively

S

Spare Tool

I hold grinder in right hand, blade to the left and put my left hand thumb on the guard and fingers of LH on the tile to steady cut, wouldn't try that with Julian's grinder though..

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I did try it not clamped sitting on an offcut of carpet but felt the tile was vibrating a little and seemed to chip a little more, so I just clamped it and made it easier to cut but clamps etc get in the way and as it's a split face tile not easy to clamp it flat, maybe a weight such as a beanbag could weigh it down enough and absorb some vibration.

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I hold grinder in right hand, blade to the left and put my left hand thumb on the guard and fingers of LH on the tile to steady cut, wouldn't try that with Julian's grinder though..
Will give this a try thanks. So you are just holding the grinder with right hand and guiding with the left?

D

Dumbo

Saw a tip on insta other day..on an L cut scribe score both lines then go in with grinder from the waste corner to corner where both scores meet and snap the two pieces independently on scribe cutter.. Yet to try it but sounds like it would work..
I do that drill, score , grind but break with a sigma separator

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just Rizzle

if im on a site i put down some wet sand put tile on top and cut through. the wet sand cools and lubs the blade. for porceline tiles may use with a moist sponge against the blade. have been using this technique for twenty plus years H and S would have a fit lol
i always score the tile first and cut to the right have guard on

L

LM

I did try it not clamped sitting on an offcut of carpet but felt the tile was vibrating a little and seemed to chip a little more, so I just clamped it and made it easier to cut but clamps etc get in the way and as it's a split face tile not easy to clamp it flat, maybe a weight such as a beanbag could weigh it down enough and absorb some vibration.
Just use a half bag of addy or a bag of grout

Reply to Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks