Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

I just can't do it! Feels too cack-handed to me ...

:) Oh no! That’s not for you Mark. :D

I’m still trying to get my head around your explanation of how you use your grinder. :p

Praps I should actually try it first.
But surely on anything over 1200, your blade gets insanely hot?
And we wonder blades don’t cut cleanly? :eek:

B

Bill

I cut from above and always in the direction of the blade rotation. Two hands on the body of the grinder and guard on!

O

One Day

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm actually being really thick here. It is totally possible I guess!
OK, I start by lightly scoring my line with the blade, probably .5mm then I'll work up and down that line on the waste side to about half way through. Final cut I'll pull the grinder towards me.
Hey, maybe wrong but it works for me!

O

Old Mod

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm actually being really thick here. It is totally possible I guess!
OK, I start by lightly scoring my line with the blade, probably .5mm then I'll work up and down that line on the waste side to about half way through. Final cut I'll pull the grinder towards me.
Hey, maybe wrong but it works for me!
Not about being wrong Mark, nothings wrong if it works is it.
So you actually cut thro glaze in direction of blade rotation then?
I just didn’t read it that way initially mate, that’s all.
Apologies.

I do find personally tho, if I just try to cut .5 mm initially, I tend to do more damage.
I’m sure that probably says more about me than the technique. :p

B

Bill

Those of you that have one....

When using the angle grinder on a rail system..... does that cut all the way through the tile in one pass?

F

Flintstone

For me, blade on the left of the grinder body, and cut down the right side of the line, always away from me never pulling and I do the cut in 3 passes probably

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. How are you clamping the tiles to the work bench, what clamps you using?
Any pics of setups then please post.
Been doing a little cutting today and so far blade on right and pulling towards me feels more comfortable.
Also the diamond polishing pads are brilliant for cleaning up the tile edges, just bought a 50 and 200 grit off eBay and very good.

O

One Day

Not about being wrong Mark, nothings wrong if it works is it.
So you actually cut thro glaze in direction of blade rotation then?
I just didn’t read it that way initially mate, that’s all.
Apologies.

I do find personally tho, if I just try to cut .5 mm initially, I tend to do more damage.
I’m sure that probably says more about me than the technique. :p

I almost always score the line first if I need a very clean cut, then stay away from the score line until last pass.
I've honestly not noticed any difference in cut quality whichever way I cut, but perhaps that's the blades I use more than me?
I know when I tried flipping my grinder I couldn't steer it at all, being right handed.

O

Old Mod

I almost always score the line first if I need a very clean cut, then stay away from the score line until last pass.
I've honestly not noticed any difference in cut quality whichever way I cut, but perhaps that's the blades I use more than me?
I know when I tried flipping my grinder I couldn't steer it at all, being right handed.

I think what would be interesting would be a joint project, shame it’s unlikely.

S

Spare Tool

Saw a tip on insta other day..on an L cut scribe score both lines then go in with grinder from the waste corner to corner where both scores meet and snap the two pieces independently on scribe cutter.. Yet to try it but sounds like it would work..

O

Old Mod

Saw a tip on insta other day..on an L cut scribe score both lines then go in with grinder from the waste corner to corner where both scores meet and snap the two pieces independently on scribe cutter.. Yet to try it but sounds like it would work..
It does Andy. Think I might struggle tho. :D
I might be tempted to drill corner first tho, even with regular stuff.

S

Spare Tool

It does Andy. Think I might struggle tho. :D
I might be tempted to drill corner first tho, even with regular stuff.
Hmmm yep that corner could be the weak point and at at least £500 a tile I'd stick to what you know works Marc...so you can't blame me if it goes **** up :D

Reply to Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks