Currently reading:
Tiling to carpet advice

Discuss Tiling to carpet advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BikerJet

Anyone whos read my previous post asking for advice on tiles that look awful are probably sick of my disasters however I now need advice on what to tell the tiler about finishing the edge to the carpet. I've posted pics to show you how its finished so far.

The tiler has said he can tile under the carpet and build a ramp or cut the carpet and put 1/2 tile at an angle to make a ramp so theres not a sharp edge going into the bathroom.

2 worries - how can they get the carpet up when they appear to have tiled over the edge of it?
The edge tiles dont appear to have enough adhesive under them to support them or am I being thick - have they left this gap for a reason?

Also are there any other ways of finishing tiles going down onto carpet?
As before I really do appreciate any advice you can give me as I need to know what to tell the tiler tomorrow.
Many thanks,
Janet.

Attachments

• tiling to carpet.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 98
  • tiling to carpet 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 99
D

DHTiling

Dya no what - I think I'm going to do a tiling course and offer my services to other female customers coz I've a feeling I'm being taken for a mug. Even I know you don't put adhesive on carpet. Oh I'm getting all cross and upset again. Wish I'd just left the stupid bathroom the way it was.

Thanks for Topps tiles finishing strip advice - will get one tomorrow.

excellent idea...:thumbsup:......:smilewinkgrin:

B

BikerJet

Is a threshold bar the strip of metal that holds the carpet down??
If so then yes thats what you see.
Of the 2 tiles that are in the bathroom doorway, one has been tiled with adhesive actually on the carpet, the other doesn't seem to have enough stuff under it.

I'm getting a very bad feeling about this. I sense from the professionals reaction on this forum that my tiler doesn't know what hes doing.

C

Colour Republic

Is a threshold bar the strip of metal that holds the carpet down??
If so then yes thats what you see.
Of the 2 tiles that are in the bathroom doorway, one has been tiled with adhesive actually on the carpet, the other doesn't seem to have enough stuff under it.

I'm getting a very bad feeling about this. I sense from the professionals reaction on this forum that my tiler doesn't know what hes doing.

Yes a threshold bar is a carpet gripper as you thought and it shouldn't have been tiled over.

Have you got any pictures of the whole floor? and can I ask what else the tiler tiled on to? as in what is the sub floor made of? floor boards, concrete, ply?

C

Colour Republic

Oh god I think I'm going to cry again.
What can I do? Sack the tiler? Tell the plumber I'm not happy?
Either way its not going to get my bathroom finished. And I was really pleased with the way the wall tiles look too. How could they do such a good job on the walls and such a pathetic job on the floor? Are floors more difficult or what?!!

DON'T PANIC!!!!

I've just looked at the picture in the other thread and from what I can see he's laid them very flat which is a start and they are installed on a concrete floor right? It's just very lazy of him to tile over a threshold bar like that and even worse that he's got adhesive all over you carpet. It may still by possible to remove the bar and back fill with adhesive then install a new threshold bar to suit

S

smurf21

the height difference might be to great for a tile to carpet thresholdstrip but im sure schluter do a folding ramp that could work'

Schluter-RENO-V is an adjustable transition profile designed to provide a sloped transition between tiled and lower adjoining floor coverings. The movable transition arm allows the profile to adjust to the height of the lower adjacent floor covering.
Profiles for Floors - Schluter-Systems :thumbsup:

B

BikerJet

I've got about an hour before the plumber and tiler get here. Going to see what the plumber says about it - its him I gave the job to. I'm just worried if I tell them to stop who's to say I'm going to find anyone better. It took forever to get even 1 plumber to quote for the job and I don't fancy my chances going through the yellow pages.

I think after all your advice I know more about tiling than they do.

Thanks for the Schluter link Smurf - that looks like just what I need.

F

FreeD

Don't worry!

Ideally that threshold/gripper bar should have been removed and carpet masked off but these are minor problems, and will be covered anyway.

You may want to look at this company

Hardwood Mouldings, Hardwood Reducers, from Woodfloors-online

I've dealt with them before they do some high quality hardwood reducers in several different sizes...which look awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

hi stand by your guns tell them what you expect and dont settle for less (within reason) take a good look tradies this sort of job gives us all a bad name.and costs us work it happens down here too .this typt of work is why so many clients do there own and do you blame them (causing us all to miss out) they get the work because they are cheap they are cheap because they cut corners and dont care what the job lookes like in 6 monthes time theve got there money .and the customers got an a-------shon of a job to show everyone (look at this professional job i had done last year /never again ).dave or dan can you start a forum on ideas from true tradies with suggestions on ways to minimise (you wont ever stop it) this sort of work/////////// ideas like tile inspector (building ins plumbing ins) think about it ? i shall now get off this soap box sorry if i ofended any one someone had to say it . hope for your sake BIKERJET it workes out good in the end :ban:

B

BikerJet

Oh dear are you banning me Jay?! ;-)

I hear what you're saying about some sort of regulation to keep standards up but as a customer I'm trying to think what I could have done to stop all these problems.
I gave the job to the plumber I was most happy with, whose quote seemed reasonable (tho def not cheap) and who was recommended by the shop I wanted to buy all the bits from. I suppose I could have tried to hire a tiler separately from the plumbing work but I wouldn't have known where to start to find a reputable one. But maybe a lesson for next time....

On a (slightly) more positive note I haven't actually paid the plumber anything yet (We're on day 7 of the job) so I guess I'm in a strong position about getting the bathroom finished properly. Also the tiler is now grouting up the wall tiles and the plumber has said he is going to sort the floor edging out tomorrow (as well as installing the shower, radiator, extractor, loo, basin, bath panel......).

Just wish I'd got one of you guys who've given me advice to come and do the job in the first place - would've maybe saved a lot of tears and heartache!

Reply to Tiling to carpet advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.