Discuss Tiling on tile in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I know tiling onto tile is a thing of contention, however in current times I cannot choose to be picky about jobs. I would like some honest advice on primers and adhesive.

Reaction score
I know tiling onto tile is a thing of contention, however in current times I cannot choose to be picky about jobs. I would like some honest advice on primers and adhesive.
Hi,

Tiling on tile is practical and is perfectly fine, but of course there are a couple of considerations

If you are tiling over wall tiles, then the main consideration would be the weight limits on plaster or plasterboard etc , being only 20kg and 32kg per square metre respectively, then making sure the the existing tiles are clean and stable.

If tiling over floor tiles, as long as the existing tiles are fixed well and clean of sealers, polishes etc, then you should be good to go.

It is good practice to use a slurry coat or gritted primer over the existing tiles, especially if the existing tiles are highly glazed and then you should be good to go with any flexible cement based adhesive.

The other considerations would be potential transition or height issues which you can only make a call on after viewing the area to be tiled.

Reaction score
Hi,

Tiling on tile is practical and is perfectly fine, but of course there are a couple of considerations

If you are tiling over wall tiles, then the main consideration would be the weight limits on plaster or plasterboard etc , being only 20kg and 32kg per square metre respectively, then making sure the the existing tiles are clean and stable.

If tiling over floor tiles, as long as the existing tiles are fixed well and clean of sealers, polishes etc, then you should be good to go.

It is good practice to use a slurry coat or gritted primer over the existing tiles, especially if the existing tiles are highly glazed and then you should be good to go with any flexible cement based adhesive.

The other considerations would be potential transition or height issues which you can only make a call on after viewing the area to be tiled.
Thanks Wayne, the floor tiles seem sound, been down 20years and no hollow points. Will look for a good primer, would you recommend any? Height issues won’t be a problem on this particular one which is fortunate. Appreciate the feedback mate.

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, the floor tiles seem sound, been down 20years and no hollow points. Will look for a good primer, would you recommend any? Height issues won’t be a problem on this particular one which is fortunate. Appreciate the feedback mate.
You could just use a slurry bonding coat by mixing the cement based adhesive you are using to fix the tiles with an SBR primer at a ratio of 2 parts cement based adhesive to 1 part SBR, brush or roller it onto the existing tiles and then you are good to go once the slurry coat is dry, this won't take long.

It sounds like your existing tiles are fine, which should lead to a successful installation, it might be worth doing a degrease/clean of the existing tiles with a propriety cleaner, prior to the slurry coat just to be belt and braces.

Good luck

Reply to Tiling on tile in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks