Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on floorboards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Azer

Hello everyone

Im still at college got about 2 months left and im about to do my very first tiling job, kitchen walls and floor for my mother in law. The floor is floorboards and i know i need to put ply down, however i dont actually know the proper ins and outs of it all.

Ive seen the no more ply system is it worth getting this over ply? It looks like its easier to install with just a stanley knife instead of having to use a saw with the ply, but does it do a good job? Or is ply just as good and cheaper?

Actually putting ply down the general idea i have is cut the ply to fit then glue and screw it down making sure to stagger where the sheets line up with each other brickbond style. Then does it need sealing/priming before putting tiles down?

Anything else ive missed or any suggestions are most welcome thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

2nd if you are still at college and only 2 months to go - what subject are you learning?
If its anything to do with tiling it should come under preparation.

R

rich83

hi, ive done college course recently,and i know just how little you learn about tiling. first thing i should say is ive never tiled outside college, but what ive gatherd is this.
1.rectify deflection
2.prime underside and side of ply (cant hurt)
3.glue it down(i think flexible addy is correct) with staggered joints,leaving gaps for expansion (2-3mm ithink should do)
4.screw down every 150mm

i believe a cement board 6mm ,may be needed may be not,but whichever you should also prime topside of ply.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if the floor boards are deflection free then skip the ply and glue and screw hardi down.....BTW you wont cut cement boards or n.m.p with just a Stanley knife ..

R

rich83

id say 15mm,over existing. or tear up board and repace with 18mm ply ,with backerboard overlay

S

Stef

As Andy said, deflection free floor then glue & screw 6mm Hardie.
Good to see the college is learning you something about floor prep when you state 15mm ply..
I hardly use ply now as I've witnessed too much of it delaminating, stick with Hardie..

W

wivers

I always preferred backer boards over ply. They were easier to carry, and cut, and always had piece of mind that the tiles were defo not gonna pop. I had a job once were the plumber who knew everything about nothing, plyed all the walls of a wet room.
I made him aware i didn't like it, but billy big nads knew best. I told him id prime it, and he said no its already done.
I don't need to say what happend a week later, but i bet the noise in the night was loud!

R

rich83

the college taught me sod all about floor prep,or anything really. i only say what i say from what ive read on here. i agree ply seems way outdated,and id defo opt for cbb if my choice. i cant wait to get some real life experience ,college was a joke,although if you want nvq you do need the diploma.except osat route

I

IHB

I hardly use ply now as I've witnessed too much of it delaminating, stick with Hardie..

Birmingham Boards (Arnold Laver) recommended their quality mark ply for the floor I'm replacing. I've used the Chinese red ply before (without any problems to date) but they said that it can delaminate. The Q mark stuff is very good. A little more expensive but no voids, much stronger and a much better product than the cheaper ply.

P

Perry

I always preferred backer boards over ply. They were easier to carry, and cut, and always had piece of mind that the tiles were defo not gonna pop. I had a job once were the plumber who knew everything about nothing, plyed all the walls of a wet room.
I made him aware i didn't like it, but billy big nads knew best. I told him id prime it, and he said no its already done.
I don't need to say what happend a week later, but i bet the noise in the night was loud!
Wivs did one fall on your head ? Lol

A

Azer

Thanks for the responses guys

I got a 5 page handout on background preparation at college which basically said ply over floorboards then moved onto the next section as well rich83.

The tile backer boards defo seem to be the better option ill go with those

Reply to Tiling on floorboards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen