Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Floor advice required in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

PMM9BRO

I'm looking to to tile on top of my chipboard floor can anyone advise me on the the size of plywood on top
the chipboard and what adhesive and grout should I get, somebody mentioned something about a flexi grout for dealing with movement.

any advise would be appreciated

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
18mm ply. However is it a floating floor

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as thick as you can ,screwed not nailed every 4 inch square then a good primer ,flexible adhesive and flexible grouut,dont use 6mm ply like i have had a lot of builders merchants telling customers is ok or you will have problems as above 18mm if you can ,the thicker the better

T

Time's Ran Out

It's not just about flexible grout and the thickness of plywood!
Youve mentioned movement and there is the problem. Identify the type of floor structure you have and report back!
Yes Mr Manwaring Sir!

P

PMM9BRO

Floor is 1st floor timber joists floating floor I think, can anyone suggest a brand for the primer and flexible adhesive etc

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi, if its on joist then its not a floating floor, how much bounce is there on the floor, if you jump up and down on it ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if theres not much bouce on the floor, I would overboard with 6mm hardi backer boards, stick them down with the adhesive and screw them down as well, a good adhesive to use is bal single part fast flex, and bal wide joint grout with GT1 admix..

G

Gazzer

6mm Backer boards glued and screwed and Single part flexible adhesive and flexible grout.
What is the size of the floor ?

P

PMM9BRO

i have just started installing the backer board whilst I can't see any obvious movement I can hear a some creaking, I have screwed the chip board wherever I can, my questions are;,

will the single part flexi adhesive help if there is a bit of movement?

should I go for ply instead?

should I use the floor adhesive to bed down the backer board?

thanks

Reply to Tiling Floor advice required in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks