Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling extension. Suspended timber floor. Use 22mm chipboard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jason Smith

I have a extension that is approx 20m2. The floor will be suspended timber, with wet UFH fitted below. Joists are at 400mm centres, and span about 2.6m

I was going to fit 18/22mm chipboard over. I am reluctant to over ply, as it will reduce heat transmission from the boards, and I have very limited height avaliable. Can I tile directly onto 22mm chipboard?, do I need to use a decoupling mat? Boarding with ply directly would mean that it is not T&G, What is the best solution/

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Best to use is 22mm fermacell flooring, straight onto the joists. You can tile straight onto it too, as its gypsum based.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 65
M

matthew_uk_666

I'm certainly not a professional, but I've had to do similar while renovating my house...

I used 22mm t&g chipboard glued on all edges and screwed down to the joists and additional noggins on all sides, I then over-boarded with 12mm plywood screwed every 150mm with 30mm screws. Agreed this is not to British standards (I.e. 15mm ply) however it makes for a very sturdy floor with virtually no deflection.

It's tanked with tilesafe and the tiles stuck down with keraquick and latex plus...

I solved the problem of the door opening with a saw...:regular_smile::regular_smile:

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm certainly not a professional, but I've had to do similar while renovating my house...

I used 22mm t&g chipboard glued on all edges and screwed down to the joists and additional noggins on all sides, I then over-boarded with 12mm plywood screwed every 150mm with 30mm screws. Agreed this is not to British standards (I.e. 15mm ply) however it makes for a very sturdy floor with virtually no deflection.

It's tanked with tilesafe and the tiles stuck down with keraquick and latex plus...

I solved the problem of the door opening with a saw...:regular_smile::regular_smile:

the trouble with all that is it will insulate too much. Defeating the object of underfloor heating.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
the trouble with all that is it will insulate too much. Defeating the object of underfloor heating.

Not if you get rid of the sheet timber over lay and use a screed instead....

M

matthew_uk_666

I have wet underfloor heating too... it takes longer to warm up than other rooms but still happily gets to temperature.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have wet underfloor heating in my lounge, kitchen and bathroom in anhydrite (Gypsol) screed. It warms up really quickly compared to the rooms that still have rads.

If I could work out how to upload pics I could show you how I did it....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How thick is the screed?

Nice way of doing it over timber floor.

how do you work out the weight?

in my case I went 25mm over the tops of the joists which gave me 35 to 40mm between the joists. i could do that as it was my own house but from a technically correct point of view it should have been another 10mm thicker. The joists themselves are original so are around 150 years old and are 4x2 inch at roughly 400mm centres (varies joist to joist) with a span into the bay window of just 2.2m.

They were here quite bouncy when I took the floorboards up so to add rigidity I used the sterling board as a "flat noggin"

The sterling board is screwed to 19x35mm tile batten which is in turn screwed to the sides of the joists. This actually adds very very significantly to the rigidity of the subfloor to remove as much bounce as possible. The undersides of the joist remain open so that the wood can "breathe".

The 500g polythene is there to act as a slip membrane and to "tank" the floor and the screed is Gypsol TimBRE screed which weighs in at 2tinnes per cubic meter so 20kg per square meter per 10mm depth.

It works really really well and because I used anhydrite it warms up very quickly..... Typically takes less than an hour to warm the floor. Keeps me toes nice and toasty....

J

Jason Smith

Weight issue is a problem for using a screed. Looks like 22mm chipboard is not recommended.

What is the correct fermacel to use? Is there a link? How does it compare to chipboard?. Alternatively, would it be better to use ply straight onto the joists?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Weight issue is a problem for using a screed. Looks like 22mm chipboard is not recommended.

What is the correct fermacel to use? Is there a link? How does it compare to chipboard?. Alternatively, would it be better to use ply straight onto the joists?

i get it through MKM builders merchants.

i think Wundafloor stock I too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 17

Reply to Tiling extension. Suspended timber floor. Use 22mm chipboard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. This isn’t a sob story, just an unfortunate truth I have stretched myself to in inch...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen