Discuss Tiling around existing splash back - where best to centre? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JimmE

-
Reaction score
I’m just planning specifics for tiling our kitchen. We have a stainless splash back behind our hob which we intend to keep, but want to tile the rest of the way around the kitchen between the underside of the cupboards and the upstand from the worktop.

I would normally plan to set out by starting from the middle - but in this case as there is already a stainless splashback in place I’m a little unsure what would look best.

1. Pretend splashback is not there - plan from the middle of the wall and cut out around splashback as required.

2. Treat the left and right side of the splashback as two separate areas, and set out from the centre of each, between the splashback and the corners

3. Start with a whole tile from the edge of the splashback and run to the edge of the wall.

I’m pretty sure options 1 or 2 make most sense, just unsure which might look best.

Any thoughts? Will be putting in 10x30cm tiles in a brick bond pattern, if that makes any difference.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I usually try talk folk into removing the stainless steel panel behind their hob. It will look much better fully tiled. Or do as Julian says but just know your tiles will sit proud of the stainless panel and biscuit will be on show for the half tiles, you can trim beside the panel but it's just a place for grease/dirt to get caught.

It will just be held on with a few blobs of silicone if you worry about removing it.

Last edited:

JimmE

-
Reaction score
Thanks all, the consensus seems to be option 3, which I though least likely but is convenient as the measurements work out quite nicely and the cut tiles end up sensible sizes.

Yes, I originally thought about replacing the stainless splashback too, but it’s cut into the upstand so would mean either removing or replacing the upstand from the worktop, and I don’t know what condition the worktop is in behind the existing upstand.

Tiles ordered and arrive Thursday - currently trawling the forum for advice on adhesive, pre-grout sealer, and mitred external corners!

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yes, I originally thought about replacing the stainless splashback too, but it’s cut into the upstand so would mean either removing or replacing the upstand from the worktop, and I don’t know what condition the worktop is in behind the existing upstand.

No need to remove or replace the upstands 😉

20191006_201409.jpg

Good luck with whatever option you go forward with, let us know how you get on 😊

Reply to Tiling around existing splash back - where best to centre? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks