Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Re: Hall of shame....

Hi CC,

Some of the grout was so soft that it could be scraped out with a plastic scraper or something similar. There were a lot places where they grout had holes in it or was otherwise not filled for a flush and solid joint. These guys had used muriatic acid on the slab in an attempt to remove glue from a previous laminate floor, and all it did was ruin everything in the condo that was metal-the window frames, all the appliances, the locksets, the ductwork, etc.

I'll go look for some more photos.

R

Rob Z

This shows how wet the mastic still was in places behind the tile. The tile had been set months before and the stuff never dried. You can also see the pan liner was sliced in the corners to avoid folding it, and the tile was running down over the pan liner.:mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

got a few pics coming soon when the customer e-mails them to me,went to do a regrouting job:huh2: on a shower cubicle and replace a few loose tiles,amazingly i found there wasn't even plasterboard behind the tiles but the wall had been sheeted with ply:yikes:,there wasn't any tanking either and this was done by a reputable bathroom company from the south side of glasgow:huh2:

R

Rob Z

Well, something is wrong with my DVD unit on my computer and I can't get pictures off of the discs. :mad2: I'd like to finish the ones that I started, and also to find the shower we tore out several years ago that had tile set with mastic on top of WALLPAPER. Go figure!

G

Grace'sDad

Here's one I started today....
Oddly enough, it took all day to get the floor up - only 12sqm.
I managed to get about a dozen off cleanly like this, the rest fought back, slicing my wrist and sending splinters into my arms :11:

The customer said she thought something was wrong, as the tiles "sang" when she swept them.

Floor lasted 12 years with no breaks - spot fixing: it's the future!

Attachments

• 21012009006.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 21012009007.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 212
L

LOFTHOUSE

Dang it! And they could of centered those back wall tiles differently, as we all know. As not to have less than half a tile on either side. GoofBalls/ConArtists.

D

david campbell

Here's one I started today....
Oddly enough, it took all day to get the floor up - only 12sqm.
I managed to get about a dozen off cleanly like this, the rest fought back, slicing my wrist and sending splinters into my arms :11:

The customer said she thought something was wrong, as the tiles "sang" when she swept them.

Floor lasted 12 years with no breaks - spot fixing: it's the future!

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

L

LOFTHOUSE

Hey Rob Z.....

As we know, mastic is only good when used for kitchen backsplashes & shower ceilings. I try not to use it on shower surrounds, however......it has it's advantages in low doses.

It sucks to see someone try to "float" mastic, can't stand to float mortar anyhow.

Have Fun. Much respect for doing repairs. My only solution has been complete tearout, followed by precision construction. I won't do small fixits and such. No passion.

Again, Much Respect.

R

Rob Z

Hey Lofty,

We didn't do any repairs on any of that work. We completely gutted both bathrooms and the enie kitchen and redid all of it. Those poor homeowners got a pittance back from the contractor after a lengthy legal battle. And that guy is still in business, do crap work and taking people's money. :incazzato:

I wish I could put more photos on here but my CD device on the computer is DOA. :cuss:

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen