Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

Re: Hall of shame....

Some pics of shamefull tiling i came across ...all in one house..:yikes:

Attachments

• tiling pics 048.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 209
  • tiling pics 049.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 185
  • tiling pics 050.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 187
  • tiling pics 052.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 228
  • tiling pics 054.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 200
  • tiling pics 056.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 191
  • tiling pics 055.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 171
  • tiling pics 053.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 179
R

Rob Z

Dave, :yikes::yikes::yikes:

I wish I hadn't lost all the pictures that I had, going back for years and years. One of my favorites was the shower we tore out, that had tile set with mastic over wallpaper over drywall. Somehow, this thing lasted 15 or more years. UFB!

G

grumpygrouter

I love the picture of the "well embedded" + spacer........

M

mart08

The company who own the appartments has asked the tiler why he has fixed the tiles in this way (see entry 28) his reply was 'I done it this way as the walls were well out'. I find it hard to believe as the walls were plasterboarded and then skimmed. They are trying to get him to replace about 80 tiles in total at his expense, if this fails then the job is mine. Not really into repairing bodge jobs as this may open a can of worms! In the current climate though we can't be too fussy.

S

Spud

Gary - thanks for the pictures and info - the work is appaling and is miles away from what is required in terms of prep and certainly fixing. This guy has absolutley misrepresented himself if he calls himself a tiler, signwritten van or no. What's interesting is where / how the work came to him through - since the client was choosing a Smallbones kitchen, as you say several thousands worth - you would expect greater scrutiny. Even so why did he turn in SUCH poor work. Is that his standard!? There must be many disatisfied customers of his, and any contractor still using him must be mad.
The point being that, as is not unusual, the tiling is often seen as a minor and less important part in the project by someone placing the work - yes the tiles themseves will be considered and ooohhd and aaahd over, but the lack of knowledge regarding proper installation is completely lacking.
I've just done a rip out for some people where the work was equally as bad, and the bloke was a recommedation; the tiling didnt even look that good, let alone what I found beneath (not) holding it on.
The client should go for him, he charged for proper work, and didn't even start to deliver it. To re-do all this the whole works on top would need to come out and start over.
Do we think he might use this forum and see the work!! ??
The tiler came recommended through the builder ,the customer purchased the tiles from a very good tile supplier, probably the best in north london who only deal with the best italian factories they only recommend 2-3 tilers ,I dont know if the tiler uses this forum but i hope if he does he is ashamed of what he has produced, it has caused a major headache for the builder as the kitchen will probably have to come out so the floor can be strengthened so I cant see the builder ever using him again .

H

Highlander

Hall of shame....

If I ever see a posting on here again about PVA here are the results of a job where PVA was used so take note.

Also included a nice dot n dab picture where a log burner was going to be installed.

And finally nice pictures that a time served guy with 25 years experience was proud to call his work on a site I was working on.

So remember no PVA no Dot n Dab use a level and no stupid slithers or your pictures may end up here.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• PVA.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 158
  • PVA2.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Dotndab.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Level mmmm.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Slither mmm.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 170

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Very dodgy Honed Brazillian slate. 10m that had only just been laid......with fastflex onto chipboard. Maintenance company had to rip up slate and chipboard and re-board. Then I re-tiled

Tauntonjob-slate004.jpg
:yikes:

Tauntonjob-slate006.jpg

Tauntonjob-slate005.jpg

Not only did the guy make a right ar55e of it........he scratched it to hell as well.
£800 worth of slate ruined......not to mention the cost of ripping up chip and re-boarding

Last edited:
R

Rob Z

This is one I we did last fall....too many things wrong with this to remember them all. The bathroom floor tile was set on 1/4" luaun directly over T&G flooring :yikes:...we tore it out with a putty knife (not much bond of thinset there!). The shower pan liner was a total disaster. They used cement board to make the curb, the liner was not installed properly, the cement board on the walls was wicking so much water that it was coming up out of the shower floor, up the wall, and getting into the room behind there.

I think the same guys did the bathroom in the basement, which we are going to redo later this spring. That will provide more photos for this thread. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Highlander...that stairs photo :yikes::yikes: What'd they set that tile with...dirt?:smilewinkgrin:

S

Spud

I have been going through the snagging list for an apartment i have just got the keys for abroad ,thought i would post a few pictures of the delightful tiling i was given ,so creative a true masterpiece of skill and workmanship and well deserved in this thread , what do you think will it make it into grace's dad's competetion ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks