Discuss Tile trim install method in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic!

One of my walls has a 5 inch recess, and the wall will be tiled up to a height of 1.3m. The recess means I have an external corner to deal with and I want to install the tile trim across the top of the tiles and on the vertical of the external corner. Planning to use a rounded trim with a rounded 'plug in' corner bit, but haven't bought anything yet.

My question is mainly around when to install the trim. Is it best to install at the same time as the tiles whilst all the adhesive is still wet, or can it be done later assuming you leave the right amount of gap around/behind the tiles for the trim? I assume at the same time is probably best.

Just wondering if there are any pitfalls by choosing to do it later? I'm just thinking of the number of (300x600) tiles that I have to install/cut but mainly about supporting the tiles down the vertical sides of the corner as I usually use a baton near the bottom of the wall, then tile up from that, but using a baton will mean I can't fit the bottom tile at the same time, hence thinking do I leave the trim until all the tiles are on the wall and do the trim the following day?

Planning on using Genesis aluminium trim which comes with a small lip/recess that the tile slots into - which very nicely covers 1mm of the tile edge hiding any minor chipping (for that professional look! 😉). Actually, if I fit this the day after, then I might struggle to get this lip over the edge of all the tiles as it is quite tight looking at the trim sample I have.

My other question is what size trim to use for 9mm tiles (measured edge is actually 8mm). Genesis trim comes in 10mm and 12mm (I have samples of both sizes). The 10mm looks and feels the best, but not sure if it's too "tight", but then the 12mm feels too loose. I would like the tile trim to be flush with the wall (along the top edge). Thinking about adhesive depth etc.

I'm also using a tile levelling system where the plastic spacers keep the tiles 2mm off the wall - so not sure yet how that would work with wanting the tile trim to sit flush with the top edge of the wall if using 10mm trim. Wondering if I should abandon the levelling system for the top row of tiles and the vertical corner tiles as that would allow me to push the tiles closer to the wall along the edges, but that might not look right against the other tiles. Or do I opt for the 12mm trim, which I think looks/feels a bit too big. Hmm what a dilemma!

Apologies for waffling - but there is quite a lot of detail involved here in terms of method and sequencing, and I'm a tile trim virgin! 😁

Hoping someone can give a bit of guidance...

Many thanks.
Alf

Reply to Tile trim install method in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks