Search the forum,

Discuss Tile over old self-levelling compound? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm retiling my kitchen floor. I took up the old vinyl tiles and am in the (very slow!) process of removing the vinyl glue.

Under some of the vinyl glue, in some places, though, are dark patches of what I guess old self-levelling compound. It's not across the whole floor but is just in small patches. Picture below...

I'm finding it almost impossible to get this stuff off. I've tried scraper, chisel, glue remover, heatgun and angle-grinder with wire brush. It's slightly sticky and smears a little bit on the top but below this is extremely hard.

My question is: can I tile over this? I'm taking off the (orange) vinyl adhesive but can I just put the adhesive over the old SLC? Should I even be trying to take off the old SLC?

I'm planning to use a thick bed (i.e. 20mm width / 13mm deep semi-circular adhesive trowel) of Bal Stone and Tile PTB as I've got large format porcelain tiles.

I'd REALLY appreciate your thoughts. I've uploaded a picture here (as can't seem to get the forum picture upload to work!): tinypic.com/r/2zhe6ao/8

I

Ian

I've got the pic from the link here.
298951a872386d939191599571060019.jpg

J

Just Rizzle

prime the floor with a neoprime primer and skim over with afiber leveling compound saves a lot of time and have a level floor to work on

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Brush and Hoover your floor then Use ardex na levelling compound straight to the floor , to a minimum depth of 3mm ! That will save Time , and hard labour !

Reply to Tile over old self-levelling compound? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen