Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Edge Trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trogre

I just cannot get my head around tile edge trim,having never used it. From what I have read you match trim to tile thickness. If you are using 8 mm tile you get a 9 mm trim which allows for 1 mm of tile adhesive and this is where I am confused.
Say you are using a 8 mm notched trowel as wall is a bit uneven,total 16mm. That means you have to press tile onto wall until only 1 mm is left which defeats the object of using a 8 mm trowel to allow for uneven walls??

I am surely missing something here. Tried looking on you tube but all videos seem to squash adhesive down to 1 mm, not only that but for some reason every video is so jerky and unwatchable. May be ok of freshly plastered walls or backer board walls where walls are even but on old walls.
Thanks for any help in sorting my brain out

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Secret is.......get the walls flat to begin with...problem solved !!
If you have to pack out a bit get thicker trim.....for an 8mm tile I would use 10mm trim anyway ......the whole idea of using a notch trowel is so the adhesive compresses down to give full coverage. So you don't want to be packing out too much.

O

One Day

One other area in our trade where practise and skill beats theory and measurement!

T

Time's Ran Out

From what I understand tile edge trim covers the tile edge!
Not the 5/10/15 mm of adhesive that is required behind the tile to keep the face straight.

Reply to Tile Edge Trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
I have a laminate flooring that is 12 mm to a down stairs toilet having to put new tiles down...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen