Discuss this is a dumb question in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
As I was in the middle of the monotonous task of laying subway tile all the way up a bathroom wall, I thought of a question that, while I can guess what the answer will be and how dumb the question may be, I want to ask someone. I tried "googling" the answer but I couldn't find anything. Here goes:

I know the traditional approach to tiling is usually using thinset or some sort of similar mortar to adhere the tile to the wall. With all the advances made in adhesives, couldn't a strong heavy duty adhesive be used instead? I am particularly a fan of the Gorilla Glue Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive Ultimate and I have used many, many times on framing walls, making beams, and adhering pretty much anything needs to stay put. The label states it can be used for it bonds to virtually any surface (which I can attest to), is completely waterproof, and can be used with ceramic and tile. I would have as much faith in it holding ceramic tiles in place as I do with thinset. It's less messy than thinset and doesn't require any mixing. It would be a little more costly than thinset but aside from that, is there a reason it can't be used?

I don't plan on changing my approach with thinset...just curious to know. Thanks in advance for reading!

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all. Have seen the tubes of Gorilla glue adhesive over here, all these hybrid sealant and adhesives are very similar (CT1, Stixall, Sticks like Sh*t, the Works.. etc.) And are strong as hell at bonding to surfaces. The only reason they wouldn't be used for tiling a large area I can see would be the cost. A average tube here will be between £7-£10 pounds for 290ml were as you can buy a 15kg tub (10 ltrs?) of ready mixed adhesive for £15. That equates to approximately 34 tubes. Price wise that's £238 - £340!!! Okay for repairs or a small splash back. But definitely down to price. Know you are in the USA and I've used metric but hopefully still gives you an idea 👍

P

Perfect Tiling

Plenty of tile dispays get done with this type of adhesive.....the tiles can be removed without taking most of the wall with it. As J K said above cost is a main issue. Also, with tile adhesive you will get a full bond with no voids behind the tile for moisture to form.....if there is a void behind the tile on a cold wall....and then warm water runs over it...condensation could form in the void. Another factor is movement....some tube adhesives are quite flexible so if the tile can move the grout will crack. Stick with the tile addy....for now.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Where’s that video of that guy fixing metros with silicone?
LMAO 😂

Reply to this is a dumb question in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks