Search the forum,

Discuss Testing underfloor heating before fixing tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

When you lay underfloor heating, do you guys test it yourselves before laying the tiles, or do you use an electrician. I know you need to use an electrician to wire it up on completion. But before i lay any tiles i check to see it works once i have it fixed to the floor. So what do you use to test them and where can buy one? :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I do a resistance and continuity check of the cabling, after the initial laying, after SLC and again before tiling!

G

GazTech

When you lay underfloor heating, do you guys test it yourselves before laying the tiles, or do you use an electrician. I know you need to use an electrician to wire it up on completion. But before i lay any tiles i check to see it works once i have it fixed to the floor. So what do you use to test them and where can buy one? :thumbsup:
After running the cable, I used to wire it to a plug with 5 amp fuse......Gaz

D

davy_G

Get yourself a multimeter and check the resistance. Jobs a gud un!:yes:
using a multimeter

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mark B

I have only used Warmup cable so far and they recommend testing the resistance before and during installation with a multi meter, a post taping check by wiring on a plug and checking that it gets warm. Then continue checking with the multimeter as you're laying the tiles.

Mark

B

brookfield

I had my weekend ruined last December when a customer called me on a saturday evening to say that the electric UFH I'd installed wasn't working. I'd done a resistance test at the start, before installation, so knew that the mat was ok. Happily, it turned out that the batteries had gone in his meter (pillock!) but ever since I've done a resistance test at the start and end of each working day and put it in my note book. Cover your a***, **** ups can get expensive!

The correct resistance range can be found in the bit of paper that comes with the mat, you know, that one you use to clean your trowel.

D

Daz

I've got a "buzz box", purchased from Varme but works with all 'lectric UFH. Lay the mat, slc and tiles - if you naff a wire you get a buzz (never had one but that's what the manual says). This means that should the UFH go US you know exactly where the fault is so repairing is quick and easy :grin:. Happy days!

D

Daz

Have you got a link for the varme captain:thumbsup:

Couldn't find a link for the Varme, as I did the deal over the phone but here's a link to the Thermonet equivalent:
Thermonet Heatmat Monitor / 6010

Hope it helps.

Reply to Testing underfloor heating before fixing tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen