Search the forum,

Discuss Testing underfloor heating before fixing tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

When you lay underfloor heating, do you guys test it yourselves before laying the tiles, or do you use an electrician. I know you need to use an electrician to wire it up on completion. But before i lay any tiles i check to see it works once i have it fixed to the floor. So what do you use to test them and where can buy one? :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I do a resistance and continuity check of the cabling, after the initial laying, after SLC and again before tiling!

G

GazTech

When you lay underfloor heating, do you guys test it yourselves before laying the tiles, or do you use an electrician. I know you need to use an electrician to wire it up on completion. But before i lay any tiles i check to see it works once i have it fixed to the floor. So what do you use to test them and where can buy one? :thumbsup:
After running the cable, I used to wire it to a plug with 5 amp fuse......Gaz

D

davy_G

Get yourself a multimeter and check the resistance. Jobs a gud un!:yes:
using a multimeter

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mark B

I have only used Warmup cable so far and they recommend testing the resistance before and during installation with a multi meter, a post taping check by wiring on a plug and checking that it gets warm. Then continue checking with the multimeter as you're laying the tiles.

Mark

B

brookfield

I had my weekend ruined last December when a customer called me on a saturday evening to say that the electric UFH I'd installed wasn't working. I'd done a resistance test at the start, before installation, so knew that the mat was ok. Happily, it turned out that the batteries had gone in his meter (pillock!) but ever since I've done a resistance test at the start and end of each working day and put it in my note book. Cover your a***, **** ups can get expensive!

The correct resistance range can be found in the bit of paper that comes with the mat, you know, that one you use to clean your trowel.

D

Daz

I've got a "buzz box", purchased from Varme but works with all 'lectric UFH. Lay the mat, slc and tiles - if you naff a wire you get a buzz (never had one but that's what the manual says). This means that should the UFH go US you know exactly where the fault is so repairing is quick and easy :grin:. Happy days!

D

Daz

Have you got a link for the varme captain:thumbsup:

Couldn't find a link for the Varme, as I did the deal over the phone but here's a link to the Thermonet equivalent:
Thermonet Heatmat Monitor / 6010

Hope it helps.

D

DHTiling

These fault alerters don't do away with testing the mat before/during and after installation..they only alert if a fault is detected whilst laying your tiles etc....:thumbsup:

Each heatmat requires two electrical resistance tests at three stages:1. before, 2.during and 3. after floor finishing. Use of the Heatmat detector does not replace these tests.

quote from said site...

M

mikewilson

you can just check by yourself with the help of a multimeter.

A

Alberta Stone

Use of a Megmeter is helpful and some companies specify it, but they are expensive.

High Voltage Megmeter®

Ross Engineering Corporation’s High Voltage Megmeter® series are unique battery powered DC hipot and meter. Models are available for withstand testing of insulation up to 42KV DC, as well as measuring leakage current as low as 0.001 microamp and resistance as high as 30 million megohms when testing underground cable, rubber safety gloves, vacuum interrupters, high voltage devices and all types of electrical insulation. All models have an over current trip feature to minimize arcing damage. Completely portable with rechargeable 12V battery which can be recharged from an automobile or 115V AC.

Basically they pump current into the wire and let you know if there is any arcing or leakage going on, like a plumber doing a pressure test.
electricity behaves like water.
I don't have one, but if I get many more UFH I will invest.

U

Uheat

Hi ya,

As it has been mentioned a few times already. You need to do the checks throughout the full installation of the UFH and the Tiled surface.
There is nothing worse than not doing any checks and getting to the end of the job to find it does not work. Any breaks/damage can be found and repaired with minimum damage to the floor (normally a couple of Tiles) but does come with a price tag attached. If it is a manufacturing fault we at www.uheat.co.uk would accept the cost of this, if it is an installation issue we do not (sorry!)

As has already been said, use a multimeter (Underfloor Heating | Installation Accessories | Uheat) to do initial resistance readings of the mats. As long as they are correct you do not need to wire up and plug in! These tests should be done before and after laying the UFH and SEVERAL times during the fitting of the tiled floor. Thus if a problem occurs you can determine where it is and get a repair kit.

We also do a cable monitor which tests the continuity of the UFH while the tiled floor goes down. This will save you doing as many checks with the multimeter. Sorry but i do not have a link to show you one, but they will cost you £28.00. If you give the office a call on the numbers below they will gladly help you out.

Reply to Testing underfloor heating before fixing tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, hope you are all having a good weekend. I am going to be tiling the splashback...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen