Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking over old tiled surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

ynot_no7

Hi there,
I have a leaking shower cubicle and am attempting to put it right. For a number of reasons, including the fit of the hinged door, I will be fitting new ceramics over old ceramics.

I appreciate all of the comments about avoiding tiles over tiles but I am stuck with this option and I have successfully removed the top surface. This was not really a problem and the tiles underneath were mostly sound.

I intend to tank the cubicle by applying the kit to the old tiled surface. I have made it level where necessary with rapid set adhesive and cleaned it with sugar soap.

Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything else to the old tile surface, such as apply primer before I start.

Also, I intend using rapid set adhesive to apply the new tiles to the tanked surface. Is this ok or do I have to prime the tanking compound.

All advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have picked up some top tips just by browsing this site. Excellent!!!

H

heavytrevy

I dont recomend what ur doing but have if you have to ......
Def use a multiprimer for the tanking kit.(not pva )

Trev

D

DHTiling

If and i mean IF you have to go this route then i advise you use a taking membrane as these are crack isolation membranes as well and that will help seal the wall breaks from patching area's you have done.

N

Nardini

Sorry, but the risk of problems from tiling over is really not worth the work you will be putting into it. What is the problem with just cutting out the old tiles and sorting out the tanking from there? I know it's not easy work, but if the substrate is not sound, you will be re-doing the job several times... Just my thoughts...

D

dagger

Sorry, but the risk of problems from tiling over is really not worth the work you will be putting into it. What is the problem with just cutting out the old tiles and sorting out the tanking from there? I know it's not easy work, but if the substrate is not sound, you will be re-doing the job several times... Just my thoughts...
cut off all the layers back to bare, replaster, board or whatever and then tank and retile...a little more expence/effort...job done 10yr guarentee.
to go over a bad substrate is to start wrong and from there it just gets worse...

imo.
Dagger..Lee..

Y

ynot_no7

Thanks everyone for the advice. The reason I cannot remove the old tiles is because the hinged door frame assembly has been trimmed to fit the levels between two facing walls, each with two layers of tiles. If I remove both layers, the space will be approximately 20mm less so I have opted to maintain the original levels by removing the top layer and tiling over with a tile of similar thickness.

I have 'inherited' this problem and the person I am doing the job for soes not want the expense of a new hinged door.

many thanks for the interest shown and I'm sure I will be back to the forum for more advice in the future.

J

jay

good luck trying to find a membrane or tanking system that will garantee that you can extend shower screen :8:

Reply to Tanking over old tiled surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen