Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss stop slipping on Saltillo tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chrisusvi

Hello,

I installed some saltillo tiles on my steps. Characteristically, when saltillo tiles get wet, they get slippery. Is there something like sand that could be mixed with the sealer to give the steps a grip.
Is there a secret to make the tiles not so slippery?
Also what is the best method to applying the sealer? (brush, roller, etc...)

Thanks.

chrisusvi

D

DHTiling

OK..just not the best choice of tile for outside in our climate...they don't like the frost....

As for putting some sand etc in the sealer then it won't work....will just wear away anyway...

Would have been a better option to put put none slip nosing trims on the step edges...

you got any pics..?..then we can see exactly what you have..

D

DHTiling

Also what sealer have you got..?..not all are suitable for outside use on clay tiles..

C

chrisusvi

Hello,

I posted some pictures of the steps. The sealer I used is called H&G concrete sealer. It was recommended by a local paint store.
I put one coat of sealer on so far. I didn't grout it yet, as one wouldn't do with Saltillo tiles before sealing first.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Attachments

• steps ungrouted.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 44
  • steps closeup.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 32
  • steps bottom.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 30
  • step from top.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 40
S

Spud

Elon do a really good sealer for Saltillo tiles which is almost like a polyeurethane sealer it is called Bentens it is the best sealing product you can get for terracotta ,this would hold sand with out it wearing away however you can purchase self adhesive carborundum tape which is often put on step treads to make them non slip
hope this helps

D

DHTiling

It is a nice job...and looking aroung i din't think it is the uk either.....lol...

so shouldn't have any probs with the face blowing off them in the freeze / thaw factor...

and thanks for the pics..

G

garretridge

nice job love to have a go at something like dont fancy the grouting bit sore on those knees! ha ha!:santa_cheesy:

D

DHTiling

As for the slip factor.....As long as the sealer is an impregnating type and not just a surface sealer ( topical ) then they should not really be slippy...

There are anti slip treatments you can use that you simplt spray on...but all check suitablity first or use a company that does it...similar to this one in the uk..>> Anti Slip Treatment Non Slip Floor Treatment

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CarolB

Hello,

I posted some pictures of the steps. The sealer I used is called H&G concrete sealer. It was recommended by a local paint store.
I put one coat of sealer on so far. I didn't grout it yet, as one wouldn't do with Saltillo tiles before sealing first.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Wow! They look phenomenal! How did the sealer hold up?

C

CarolB

I cant believe hiw beautiful these steps are. Nice work! Im curious to know if your happy with the sealer and how its held up? In fettinf ready to use saltillo in my shower and im exploring sealers now.

Reply to stop slipping on Saltillo tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks