Search the forum,

Discuss Starting a new job in the New Year (Non Tiling) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tysfoot

Alreet Everyone

As a new tiler like alot of people in these forums its hard to get started and to make a steady income so ive mangaed to get a job starting in the new year in a warehouse.

My hours are 5pm - 9pm or 6pm - 10pm only 20 hours a week

Was just wondering if you think its worth doing these hours or will it be hard as i know people who want quotes like them in the afternoon when there home from work

Also i was wondering what everyone else does, eitther full time tiler or work as well

F

Fekin

You've always got weekends, but other than that, you might get stuck for time going out to estimate.

Q

quick draw macgraw

Engineering on shift work!

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saltire69

full time tiler(so far). Started in September and been kept going. Didn't have much work for last week but got 4 jobs in the same day that i had estimated on so ok up till X-mas now. Still learning so i give myself pleny of time to do jobs. Gettting faster now though,finished a 14.5m2 bathroom in 2 1/2 days. ( no laughing pro- tilers:yes:)

W

White Room

Can't answer your question I do tiling full time but not all the time plastering and dry lining as well

B

brian c

full time tiler(so far). Started in September and been kept going. Didn't have much work for last week but got 4 jobs in the same day that i had estimated on so ok up till X-mas now. Still learning so i give myself pleny of time to do jobs. Gettting faster now though,finished a 14.5m2 bathroom in 2 1/2 days. ( no laughing pro- tilers:yes:)
Thats good going m8,is that including the floor?If all the walls are sound then try and tile the bathroom in one day if u can and then grout up and do the floor the second day.I know some tilers grout walls at night that they tiled in the day but few admit to it.I did a bathroom today just got window to go round in morning and shower wall to tile so i will be back on Saturday grouting and fixing floor.

J

justinisaac

I think it's great that you have a job with guaranteed pay every week. When starting out on your own it can be a bit daunting esp if you don't have the time to go chasing work. Shift work may turn out to be a good thing, mainly because you have a bit of flexibility when arranging to see/price jobs. Quite often people ask me to meet them at 9 or 10 am and they're almost surprised when I say I'm working. I normally set aside Sat morning for pricing jobs and now I'm in the habit of doing it it's not a problem. Back home in time for Football Focus every week!
You'll be amazed how quickly work starts to come in once you get into a routine of pricing up regularly. I've been a chippy for 12 years and when I went on my own about 5 years ago I was fairly nervous but within a couple of months I was wishing I had done it sooner.
One last bit of advice - don't be put off if you don't get every job you price up. If you lose one now and again it means you're pricing competitively.
All the best
Justin

T

tysfoot

thanks for that advice, its good to know im not alone..... i should be able to start my new hours after xmas, 6 - 10pm so like you said i can quote at weekends and then i have allday mon to fri to establish myself and get the work done.

i rekon that by june ill be able to tile full time with a good regular income coming in....

Cant wait

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
personally myself i just went for it dont kknow your circumstances but i had no outgoings ie rent, lecky etc bills just beer money hope all works out well for you

C

CLAYS TILES

full time lorry driver (wanting out) & committing full time to do tiling!
i do tiling @ weekends till then, its awkward going out for quotes as i can never guarrantee getting back in time due to motorway delays etc!:furious3:

T

tysfoot

ita a pain in the arse tiling part time from 3pm onwards like i do now as i can only put 4 hours a day in and i feel im in the way all the time. ive had jobs where ive said it will take me 3 days and its ended up taking nearly a week because of my other commitments.
Hopefully when i start my new job late afternoons i can get my tilling of to a good start and get lots of work coming in regularly and taking 3 days to do a 3 day job

Reply to Starting a new job in the New Year (Non Tiling) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen