Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Stained Riven Black Porcelain. HELP! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

aintgotnosetile

Hi I tiled a bathroom 2 weeks ago with 600x300 riven black porcelain,everything went to plan.
The customer purchased the tiles himself .I sealed the tiles using HG impregnator
Fitting was onto existing mosaic tiles so I BAL BONDED before fixing with Rapidset flexi.
I grouted tiles with Mapie 110 manhattan grout, and cleaned off using Rubi Washboy (4 times) and then gave a final dust.
The job looked great when finished and customer was happy with job.
I then got a call on Friday saying that the tiles are now showing a grey dust or stain on the surface!
I told the client I have no idea what could cause this as the job was cleaned properly(been caught out before with porcelain tiles)
The client then informed me she had steam cleaned the tiles using a profession steamer.
Could the steam cleaner have caused the stains?Or removed the sealer? Any info on cleaning these tiles now would be very helpful.
Sorry for the long post but its always best to give as much info as possible.
Cheers. Ian

D

DHTiling

Hi Ian..

Steam cleaning the tiles this early after grouting could have caused this residue from the grout that has not reached full tensile strength.

Most grouts do say no showering etc for 2 weeks after and if she steamed them then is could have caused this..

It might be worth using a residue remover but you will need to state this facts first.

A

aintgotnosetile

Thanks for the info Dave.
Would steam cleaning remove the impregnator?
Which residue remover would you recommend?
Cheers. Ian.

D

DHTiling

I doubt it Ian but not something i have looked into or tried.. So maybe it could of done some damage tot he sealers properties for working to it's full potential.

As for a residue remover then LTP grimex and use a scotch pad.. then re-seal..once all clean and dry but you must charge for this service if she is at fault as you say.

A

aintgotnosetile

Thanks again Dave.
Really should post more!
Some great advice available.I started viewing again after I was sent the link for the Video blogger.Great stuff.
Ian.

Reply to Stained Riven Black Porcelain. HELP! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks