Discuss So much prep was a pain on this bathroom in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My favourite customers of over 8 years have moved house and this is the first of 5 bathrooms/ensuites ending with 130m2 floor.
Original bathroom looked great at first look but on closer inspection there were a few red flags.
Tiles came off the walls in seconds with no damage to substrate as they'd been dot and dabbed onto skimmed plaster board, white wash paint and neat PVA.

IMG_2053.JPEG

IMG_2054.JPEG

Thought I'd do a little job diary as the prep was a pain and might help others in future.
Normally removing white wash is quick and easy with a damp sponge but because of the neat PVA that didn't work.
Tried lots of things and discovered the easiest way of dealing with it was steel wool, lots of clean water and a sponge.

IMG_2058.JPEG

IMG_2057.JPEG

Got the tiles up off the wooden floor to find a Durabase mat 🤬!
I know a decoupling mat is quicker and easier to fit than cement board but it's the wrong product for this situation and means I've got to strip it out and grind all the adhesive off - picked the hottest day of the year as well!
Next day I got the new tray in and boarded the floor.

IMG_2059.JPEG

IMG_2067.JPEG

IMG_2068.JPEG

IMG_2069.JPEG

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
First fix complete, wet area tanked and floor tiles down.

IMG_2075.JPEG

IMG_2086.JPEG

IMG_2087.JPEG

IMG_2088.JPEG

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Marble effect porcs on the walls.
Skirts fitted.

IMG_2089.JPEG
IMG_2093.JPEG

IMG_2094.JPEG

Paint, grout and silicone

IMG_2101.JPEG

IMG_2102.JPEG

IMG_2103.JPEG

IMG_2104.JPEG

IMG_2105.JPEG

IMG_2107.JPEG

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Final fix (still got glass to fit as it's been delayed) and sparky needs to come back.

IMG_2123.JPEG

IMG_2124.JPEG

IMG_2126.JPEG

IMG_2127.JPEG

IMG_2132.JPEG

IMG_2133.JPEG

IMG_2135.JPEG

IMG_2136.JPEG

IMG_2138.JPEG

IMG_2139.JPEG

Reaction score
Looks absolutely flawless đź‘Ť Quite like the marble and wood combination together. Always worth taking the time to get the preparation work done right. Those bathrooms will last a lifetime.

Reply to So much prep was a pain on this bathroom in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks