Discuss Slate tiles not sticking down in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul damian

Chris next time youre mixing sand and cement and using it to bed tiles do not use plasticizer, mix it a bit wetter to get it workable. The slurry mix has gone off but the mortar bed hasnt because off the added plasticizer .

S

Spud

I have fitted loads of stone and tiles with this method, you didnt even really need the sbr bond in the slurry in this circumstance the supplier gave this advice as overkill ,the slurry needs to be creamy inconsistency if its too wet it doesnt give a good bond to the sand and cement also the sand and cement bed must bed semi dry like floor screed if its too wet or too dry you can get problems, the only other issue is the compaction of the bed under the stone, sometimes when fitting, you can hit one side down too far then tap the opposite side to bring the tile level causing the tile to see saw on the bed this will cause the tile to come loose as only a small part of the underside of the tile is in contact with the bed and a void is formed, when fitting work this method we tap the work with a hard wood stick to see if they were fully bonded any voids were flood grouted the following day which makes the floor completely solid, this method is by far the best method for this job, as Dave says now every thing is dry just take the loose ones out and restick with adhesive grout them with flexible grout and the job will by fine

S

steve187

In the old days ( yes i know) before adhesives, if laying quarry tiles on a thickish bed we would use a semi dry mix that just forms the shape of your hand when squeezed of sharp sand and cement, we would then put a thin slurry of neat cement, on the surface of the screed and lay the quarries onto the screed, once a metre wide strip was laid we would then beat the surface of the quarries with a 6-8 inch length of 4x2 timber until they were all level.
if a thin bed of screed was required we would mix wet and the as knackered knees said sprinkle a neat layer of dry cement to the screed , then lay the quarries and use the 4x2 again.

In answer to you dilemma i would suggest taking up the slate and using a suitable outside adhesive to relay on the remaining bed of sand and cement as long as it is sound, as suggested by others

B

BethanyHope

Did you find a solution to the slate not bonding to the bed? I'm having the same issue...added PVA to this mix, 3rd time around! Only did one part of the repeating pattern to test it out but I'm fed up with the waste of materials now!

D

Deborah

I am having the same problem with slate not sticking. However, I paid $100K to have this put in. They are here today to fix the loose slate but I want them to fix all the tiles that sound hollow and they say that is due to the different thickness of the stone. They bought all the same thickness stone on pallets. I tried to pry up one on the edge that sounded hollow, I used a hammer to do it and they claim if I want to pry them up, they all will come up when pried. Is this true? seems they should be stuck so that they wouldnt wiggle with some prying.

Reply to Slate tiles not sticking down in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley