Discuss Silicon or grout for small bathroom job in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peterhoop

We have a bath/shower with tiles on the walls around the bath. On the wall side of the bath the wall is partly recessed with a tiled shelf connecting the bath to the wall (photo attached). The tiles on this shelf are cracked near the join with the wall and water is leaking through them. We have a handyman/builder who will replace the tiles on the shelf. He has suggested fixing the replacement tiles at a slight angle to the bath to allow water to run off into the bath. Also, he is suggesting using silicone instead of grout for the tiles. However, I have been told that black mould is likely to form on the silicon. Is this so, and is it better to use silicone or grout, or a combination of both for this job?

Edit question details

Asked by: peterhoop
20160921_155918.jpg
20160921_155918.jpg
20160921_155918.jpg
20160921_155918.jpg
20160921_155918.jpg

P

Peterhoop

Would be using a good quality silicone here.
Thanks for that Paul. And would that be just around the edges where the tiles on the shelf join the wall and the edge of the bath, or between the tiles as well? Currently the tiles on the shelf have grout between them. I assume a silicon with mildew protection would stop mould forming?

P

Peterhoop

That'll be silicone where edges meet edges. Grout between the tiles as usual ;)
Sorry Paul, I'm not a professional, so excuse my ignorance (I think I may be on the wrong part of the site for the rank amateur). My main concern would be to stop cracks reappearing which I suspect were caused by expansion/contraction of the tiles and maybe movement of the bath.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Kind of answered your own question. If the bath is moving or the shelf is moving you're going to be fighting a losing battle. The black mould you see on silicone is generally caused by standing water and soap residues.

P

Peterhoop

Kind of answered your own question. If the bath is moving or the shelf is moving you're going to be fighting a losing battle. The black mould you see on silicone is generally caused by standing water and soap residues.
Thanks Rich. But would it be an idea to use silicon (instead of grout) between the tiles on the shelf as well as around the edges to give more flexibility to absorb tensions caused by expansion/contraction of the tiles or movement of the bath? Is that something worth trying or something a professional would never do?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As a professional I'd remedy the movement first! But yes, given its such a small area you could try silicone in the joints. Buy the best quality you can, give plenty of time to cure and always rinse and dry after use. Best of luck.

Reply to Silicon or grout for small bathroom job in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
We are redoing our bathroom and had a long discussion on tanking with our handyman who does...
Replies
Views
Hey guys I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22