Search the forum,

Discuss Shower room pricing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Imho it doesn't matter what everyone else would charge as its your friend's job and none of them would be competing anyway!
I'd normally be critical of novices like yourself taking work away from trained tilers but in this instance I'd rather encourage you to gain experience using this job and a reduced rate to improve your portfolio.
This forum is here to provide advice and if you post specific shorter threads I believe you will get a more positive response.
Good luck and continue to enjoy!

Good to see you got out the right side of the bed today TJ..

S

Stef

As TJ says I think you should have a crack at this.
If it's only the mosaic that's concerning you then spend a lot more time on this feature panel & get it spot on & learn from it.
I still don't particularly like fitting mosaics especially against the field tile & you have to build them out but if you don't ask you don't get & it will be good experience for you..

T

Time's Ran Out

Good to see you got out the right side of the bed today TJ.. 
I'am not sure if you are aware of my sleeping habits but if you are suggesting that I can be positive/negative in my replies by getting out of bed in a particular direction - then I have to make you aware that for the last 30 years I have spent the majority of nights on a setee!
Its the only way I can be sure of resting my back and waking up in such a pleasant and happy mood allowing me to provide witty and charming replies!
Thank you for your concern.

R

RDTiling

Thanks for the additional replies.

it really is only the mosaic section that I'm concerned about taking on, but I know I'll need to take on mosaic tiling at some point.

It would behold experience for me, but I'll give it a bit more thought before making a final decision.

O

Old Mod

Hey Rich,
firstly TOO CHEAP!
Now that's out of the way haha
you say width of shower tray is mosaic, is that one wall or two? (Sorry if I misunderstood)
have u used tanking kits before? If not I'd agree with PlanTec or go for tanking sheet on a roll like Schluter. (Schluter from CTD) much easier to use if you're a first timer and u can tile immediately. They have slightly different adhesive requirements tho.
Have a chat with Stef or Charlie 1 or any of the other guys from Scotland and try find going rates local to you. Being Edinburgh I'd imagine it'll favour u with slightly higher rates than elsewhere.
Does your friend know your skill level? If you're gonna attempt perfection does he realise it's going to take u a little longer? If you're competing against others for the job, yeah do mates rates to get work and the experience, BUT don't cut your throat. Knock 10% off not 50% otherwise u'll be under pressure before u even arrive. That's not advised especially as it sounds like your first major project. Be prepared for it to take longer than u estimate, cos it will! If it was me I'd be tackling the mosaic first, at any point do the mosaic butt directly against the wall tiles, or are they separated by the shower screen? If they do, then u'll have to consider any thickness differences, but don't be scared of them, they will bite if you're not confident. Treat shower as it's own job. Once the tough bit is outta the way it'll be all downhill!
Whilst i agree u should turn down some work because of individual skill level, I don't think so in this case. U've been cautious for a good while and not over stretching urself so maybe it is time to step up! But if you're unsure about something, STOP, get on here and ask don't plough ahead. U'll get more respect for checking than u will messing up!
Good luck Rich.

S

Stef

I'am not sure if you are aware of my sleeping habits but if you are suggesting that I can be positive/negative in my replies by getting out of bed in a particular direction - then I have to make you aware that for the last 30 years I have spent the majority of nights on a setee!
Its the only way I can be sure of resting my back and waking up in such a pleasant and happy mood allowing me to provide witty and charming replies!
Thank you for your concern.

Like that reply TJ,

R

RDTiling

Fantastic reply 3_fall, it's much appreciated.

The mosaic tiles are only going on one wall (the one with the shower) so that it acts as a feature as you walk in the door (which is why I'm hesitating over taking this on, as I know I need to get it spot on for them).

I've never used a tanking kit before due to the smallish jobs I've done to date, so I'll look into the tanking sheets.

They know my experience level but seem happy to give me the opportunity to work in their bathroom and I've told them to allow me 4 days for the tiling (probably about 2 days of that will be be fixing the mosaics!)

The mosaic tiles will be separated by the shower screen, which thankfully takes care of the different thickness issue.

Thanks again for the response and I am warming to taking this one on - as it would be a cracking bit of experience for me.

Rich

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
so you say your 'Quoting' the job for a friend......dose this mean your friend will be getting other quotes as well, or the jobs yours anyway.........just asking so John can carry on sleeping well at night...:smilewinkgrin:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What size trowel did you use when you had problems with adhesive coming through? If the whole wall is being done then use a mosaic trowel, if it's a border or a feature between thicker tiles then search on here for the dog tooth method. Phil Hobson posted some pictures giving a step by step guide:thumbsup:

O

Old Mod

No problem Rich,
thats supposedly why we're all here! TO HELP!
You say shower screen will mask the join between tiles and mosaic, is the screen full height? Prob not. Do they meet above it?
When working with mosaic I typically set out my sheets so that I can start around chest height. Couple of reasons, firstly it's a comfortable height to start at and you're not bent double or stretching which can lead to mis shaped mesh and obviously tiles. Secondly and maybe more importantly when a client first looks into room initially the eye is ALWAYS drawn to the brightest source of light (that's one reason why the window setting out is of utmost importance!) then they scan the room at about shoulder height, for me it's head height cos I ain't too tall! Haha so if your first four sheets between chest and just above head height are perfect they don't always inspect the rest too tough! So if u get a MINOR mistake or two u'll probably be ok. So set your sheets out just like any other tile, remembering to space between them. Draw your start line across wall at about shoulder height and HANG the sheet from the line down! don't put bottom on first and push up! It will distort. Then measure up or down (your choice) 2 sheets, then hang them from top down. Once in place gentle tap and flatten the sheet with the flattest grout float u have. Try and ensure u tap not WHACK! Watch the angle of your arm, make sure it's straight and not off on an angle. Trowel carefully, don't leave lumps of addy on wall. After nxt course of mosaic, go back on last course and wipe clean with DAMP sponge to clean any excess addy off. WORK CLEAN Bal's new Max-flex fibre (mosaic fix) is brilliant white and high grab, expensive but worth it! It's as easy as that! :smiley2:
good luck.

Reply to Shower room pricing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen