Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sensor settings - air only in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
My understanding is that thermostats that have a built in air sensor and external floor sensor can be set at floor only, ambient air AND floor (where the air temp takes precedent and the floor sensor merely acts as a limiter to prevent overheating of cables.
So my question is what is the air only setting for? Does it mean the floor probe is totally redundant and the cables could overheat? Is it a setting you would use for wet UFH only?

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
The air sensor should only be used with a water system when they have a tiled floor finish as they're aren't going to exceed the maximum temperature a tile can take. However if it's a wood or laminate then it can only have a max floor temperature of 27 degrees which is where the floor sensor needs to be introduced to limit the floor temperature.
If it's an electric system then a floor sensor is mandatory for every finish.

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Jake, what max temp should it be set at for tile - 35?

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The air sensor should only be used with a water system when they have a tiled floor finish as they're aren't going to exceed the maximum temperature a tile can take. However if it's a wood or laminate then it can only have a max floor temperature of 27 degrees which is where the floor sensor needs to be introduced to limit the floor temperature.
If it's an electric system then a floor sensor is mandatory for every finish.

I know I'm sounding really thick but..... What is the reason why you shouldn't run with air only sensor setting on the thermostat on electric ufh under a tiled finish? Is it because the floor probe is no longer acting as a limiter and if it's a really chilly room the cable could get so hot it might burn your feet or burn itself out?
If the electric UFH is intended to be the primary heat source then what would be the best sensor settings - Floor only or air and floor?
If air and floor was best would you not then still need to set a sensible limit for the probe to avoid the cables getting too hot?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As Jake says. Electric ufh, is only suplimentery. And for the stat to cut off at say 22 degrees, is he floor might then be getting close to 30 degrees. Obviously, this can cause the floor to fail

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I know I'm sounding really thick but..... What is the reason why you shouldn't run with air only sensor setting on the thermostat on electric ufh under a tiled finish? Is it because the floor probe is no longer acting as a limiter and if it's a really chilly room the cable could get so hot it might burn your feet or burn itself out?
If the electric UFH is intended to be the primary heat source then what would be the best sensor settings - Floor only or air and floor?
If air and floor was best would you not then still need to set a sensible limit for the probe to avoid the cables getting too hot?
Its to stop the floor from over heating itself, the temperature difference between the floor and air could vary by up to 5 degrees sometimes, depending on where the thermostat is placed. Our Electric UFH in our office and tea room are both ran off the floor sensors only and kept under 22 degrees.

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Factory settings out the box is air only, changed it to floor only to start commissioning and think I'll leave it in that mode set at manual as my parents can handle that! 3rd day of commissioning and it's at 16 degrees - told my dad to increase it 1 degree everyday - what temp should he go up to to finish commissioning?

Parents are well happy and can't recommend the U Heat and their Heat base system enough. Will definitely be pushing it next year!

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Factory settings out the box is air only, changed it to floor only to start commissioning and think I'll leave it in that mode set at manual as my parents can handle that! 3rd day of commissioning and it's at 16 degrees - told my dad to increase it 1 degree everyday - what temp should he go up to to finish commissioning?

Parents are well happy and can't recommend the U Heat and their Heat base system enough. Will definitely be pushing it next year!
One degree a day until you've reached 25 degrees and then you can set it at the temperature you desire.
Great to hear another happy customer! Look forward to the next phone call

Reply to Sensor settings - air only in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock