Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing Polished Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Are they kidding? How long for that job and how to price it? The problem I keep coming across is transit micro-abrasions, i.e very fine surface scratching caused by packing and transit. They do not disappear with grout and cement remover, sealer or porcelain cleaner. Nightmare.

What I seem to have on my own tiles is a lovely pattern caused by the sheets of thin expanded polystyrene used to separate the tiles in the box. Cannot shift the marks and the tile rep is at a loss too. Would be in the mire if I had supplied and fixed these for a client. As it is my wife........well you can work out the rest.

Help.
In my case with the Pilkington tiles (regal) there is only about 35 tiles that will need sealing. I can see how it could be a time consuming issue though if it was a big area. No worse than having to seal terracotta though! I have also quoted for the sealing time as an additional item on my estimate which has been accepted so there is no issue.

Z

Zanria

Polished porcelain needs to be sealed with a good impreganator sealer.

I use Fila porcelain impreg sealer, lay the tiles, give the the full floor a good coat of impreg sealer then grout.

Reason you seal polished porcelain is that the polishing process open millions of tiny hols in the tile surface and dirt and grime can get into them and cause dulling.

Matt porcelain needs sealing too.

WELL I WISH I HAD READ THIS FORUM BEFORE!!!!

So I bought some textured (apparently polished) porcelain tiles from Topps and was assured they didn't need sealing. Spent hours laying and then when grouted found it was nearly impossible to get the grout haze off. Two years on my tiles have now faded from a gorgeous black to a mid grey and there are stains and marks all over them. From reading this forum my life would have been made so much easier had I sealed them before grouting.

Using the scub pads has helped the stains after hours of hard work but is there anything I can do to get the colour back???

The grout has also stained. Gone from black to patchy grey. I'm debating whether to dig the grout out and start again but this time use a grout sealant or try the grout colourant?

Any suggestions? Pease help!

N

nellyb

re. the black tiles that have faded to grey, try HG Golvpolish on them. I've had a similar problem before and it worked for me. The golvpolish gives a slight satin sheen but enhances the colour of the tiles....if you don't like it, it can be stripped off using HG Remover.

Z

Zanria

re. the black tiles that have faded to grey, try HG Golvpolish on them. I've had a similar problem before and it worked for me. The golvpolish gives a slight satin sheen but enhances the colour of the tiles....if you don't like it, it can be stripped off using HG Remover.

THANKS! I'v just bought some from amazon to try. I wanted a sheen!! so hopefully the HG will work and it was a fraction of the cost of some of the other products so really glad of the advice!!!! Arrives next week so I see how it goes!

Cheers!

D

DHTiling

Golv polish is a topical sealer for stone.....i can't see that holding to a vitrified tile......To seal porcelain you need an impregnator designed for vitrified tiles...

L

lifestyle floor

i would say that you would need to clean the tiles as best as possible first , leave to dry , then seal , leave to dry . grout your tiles and then once the grout has dried properly clean again and once they have been left to dry overnight seal again.
this also prevents your grout from staining over time to.
for the value of a few pounds its best to seal the tile and grout with a total of 2 coats. you cant do anything down the line if you discover staining has appeared.

N

nellyb

it will hold to vitrified tiles....I've used it on orig style victorian floor tiles which are vitrified and also on full bodied, porcelain tiles which were black and seemed to lose some colour once grouted. It isn't just for use with stone.

I've suggested more for it's slight colour enhancing properties than as an impregnating sealer. Either way, because it's a topical sealer, it can be removed if it doesn't work in much the same way as Lithofin slate seal can.

B

buffmartin

ive never heard of sealing porcelain tiles in my whole 16yrs of tiling until B&Q started selling them?

D

DHTiling

ive never heard of sealing porcelain tiles in my whole 16yrs of tiling until B&Q started selling them?

Well you learn summit new every day....:thumbsup:...and it's nowt to do with B&Q coz porcelain tiles ( unglazed) have always needed sealing...

Z

zoffy

Just thought I would add my two pence to this debate.

I emailed the manufacturer with the following question:

[FONT=&quot]Información requerida: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hi, I am putting "nazca 40 x 40 cm. (39,3 x 39,3 cm.)" onto my kitchen floor. Do these need to be sealed after laying or are they hard enough to not need sealing? Thanks [/FONT]

The reply was as follows:

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for using our products. Our polish material is already sealed that is the reason that look a little bit mat, you only need to cleaned well to get the shiny effect.

Regards
Rodrigo Vives
Export Department

VIVES AZULEJOS Y GRES, S.A.
Tel.: 964 360725
E-mail: [email protected]
www.vivesceramica.com

Reply to Sealing Polished Porcelain Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen