Search the forum,

Discuss Rubi TX 700 problem. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jollyroger

So I bought a new Rubi TX 700, tried a few cuts at home and thought it was the dog's danglies. However after using it for a day on a job, I have discovered it has a major flaw in the design. When you get to the end of the cut, the cutting wheel slams down on the metal part of the cutter bed. Also when the metal guide is in position the wheel runs right over it. After a few cuts the wheel is blunt. I mean seriously, am I missing something?????

S

Spud

You will learn to get used to your machine perhaps you are being a bit heavy handed when scribing the tile as even rubi wheels should last longer than one days use

J

Jelthetiler

Do you cut away from yourself. I've had one for a couple of years and never had a problem. What type/size tile are you using? My wheels usually last a months to 6 weeks cutting large porcelain.

S

Stef

As Gary says you might be scoring too hard.
It doesn't need to be a hard scribe, once you realise what your machine can do you will know to just glide the scoring wheel over the tile.

T

TJ Smiler

Sounds like your pulling the scribe towards you, push it in the other direction (as Beam says) towards the measuring bar and be a bit more gentle. My wheels last for several big porcs jobs.

J

jollyroger

Thanks for the input guys.....Been tiling for years so I know how to use a manual tile cutter. My main point is, when the guide bar is in position, the scoring wheel runs over it, coming into contact with the metal. Good advice about not scoring too hard as I can be very slightly heavy handed. I tried today with a lighter pressure and this has definitely improved my cuts. Think I have been so used to using crap cutters over the years.
Thanks for all the tips but my point about the wheel coming into contact with the metal on the guide bar is correct so will not be using the guide bar in future. This way my cutting wheel will stay sharp for longer period of time.

I

Ian

Is yours the 700 or the 700n? Is it not possible to adjust the depth of the scoring wheel in the handle to stop it catching the guide?

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.....Been tiling for years so I know how to use a manual tile cutter. My main point is, when the guide bar is in position, the scoring wheel runs over it, coming into contact with the metal. Good advice about not scoring too hard as I can be very slightly heavy handed. I tried today with a lighter pressure and this has definitely improved my cuts. Think I have been so used to using crap cutters over the years.
Thanks for all the tips but my point about the wheel coming into contact with the metal on the guide bar is correct so will not be using the guide bar in future. This way my cutting wheel will stay sharp for longer period of time.

your used to using crap cutters. lol. dont take this the wrong way , but they are crap imho

J

jollyroger

Its the TX 700 Bri, Dont matter how the scoring wheel is set for height. The metal part of the guide passes through the cut line and sits about 4mm below a 9mm tile so the wheel scores the metal when you get to the end of the cut. Love the cutter but this problem is making me unwell lol.

Reply to Rubi TX 700 problem. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen