Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Rubi TX 700 problem. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jollyroger

So I bought a new Rubi TX 700, tried a few cuts at home and thought it was the dog's danglies. However after using it for a day on a job, I have discovered it has a major flaw in the design. When you get to the end of the cut, the cutting wheel slams down on the metal part of the cutter bed. Also when the metal guide is in position the wheel runs right over it. After a few cuts the wheel is blunt. I mean seriously, am I missing something?????

S

Spud

You will learn to get used to your machine perhaps you are being a bit heavy handed when scribing the tile as even rubi wheels should last longer than one days use

J

Jelthetiler

Do you cut away from yourself. I've had one for a couple of years and never had a problem. What type/size tile are you using? My wheels usually last a months to 6 weeks cutting large porcelain.

S

Stef

As Gary says you might be scoring too hard.
It doesn't need to be a hard scribe, once you realise what your machine can do you will know to just glide the scoring wheel over the tile.

T

TJ Smiler

Sounds like your pulling the scribe towards you, push it in the other direction (as Beam says) towards the measuring bar and be a bit more gentle. My wheels last for several big porcs jobs.

J

jollyroger

Thanks for the input guys.....Been tiling for years so I know how to use a manual tile cutter. My main point is, when the guide bar is in position, the scoring wheel runs over it, coming into contact with the metal. Good advice about not scoring too hard as I can be very slightly heavy handed. I tried today with a lighter pressure and this has definitely improved my cuts. Think I have been so used to using crap cutters over the years.
Thanks for all the tips but my point about the wheel coming into contact with the metal on the guide bar is correct so will not be using the guide bar in future. This way my cutting wheel will stay sharp for longer period of time.

I

Ian

Is yours the 700 or the 700n? Is it not possible to adjust the depth of the scoring wheel in the handle to stop it catching the guide?

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.....Been tiling for years so I know how to use a manual tile cutter. My main point is, when the guide bar is in position, the scoring wheel runs over it, coming into contact with the metal. Good advice about not scoring too hard as I can be very slightly heavy handed. I tried today with a lighter pressure and this has definitely improved my cuts. Think I have been so used to using crap cutters over the years.
Thanks for all the tips but my point about the wheel coming into contact with the metal on the guide bar is correct so will not be using the guide bar in future. This way my cutting wheel will stay sharp for longer period of time.

your used to using crap cutters. lol. dont take this the wrong way , but they are crap imho

J

jollyroger

Its the TX 700 Bri, Dont matter how the scoring wheel is set for height. The metal part of the guide passes through the cut line and sits about 4mm below a 9mm tile so the wheel scores the metal when you get to the end of the cut. Love the cutter but this problem is making me unwell lol.

M

Mr Tiler

the tx 700 I have on me van really is the dogs danglers lol, its a bit old though and the plates seem to have lost there sponginess if that's a word lol. still cuts sound though no issues with what your describing bud

I

Ian

Its the TX 700 Bri, Dont matter how the scoring wheel is set for height. The metal part of the guide passes through the cut line and sits about 4mm below a 9mm tile so the wheel scores the metal when you get to the end of the cut. Love the cutter but this problem is making me unwell lol.

Seems odd, it's not something I seem to have an issue with, get a video up an see if your technique is the same as mine.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Sounds like ur pushing down, you need too push through . Sounds silly but to me it just like ur being heavy handed. Also, hitting the metal isnt going to blunt the wheel. All wheels - regardless of cutter brand- sound sharp on the first few days of work, this sound dissapates after a few jobs, doesnt mean its blunt tho.
Diggy

M

m3fitter

sounds like the buffers have worn, replace the buffers and constantly apply wd40 to the rails, use a 6mm wheel on most tiles ( except tectured porcs ) 6mm available online only now as discontinued by Rubi

B

blue_max

I am new to tile snappers, having used el cheapo wet cutters in the past. I just got a tx700-N second hand and after my first few cuts, damaged the metal as you describe. I soon learned that it is all about the angle, and not the force. When you first start your cut, try to maintain that angle throughout the stroke. If anything, try to ease up a little towards the very end.
What surprised me was the accuracy of the measuring gauge. I have been used to them being no more than a decoration before, but found it spot on. Now I trust it, which makes life much easier than trying to see a pencil line!

Reply to Rubi TX 700 problem. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks