Discuss Removing Sandy Plaster Before Re Tiling Single Row Above New Bath in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JennyB

Hi,
We removed a single row of tiles when replacing the bath and want to fill with different tiles that are deeper than the original and rest of the tiles. However the plaster is very sandy (or is it cement as 1960s house?) and some has come off so I want to be careful about not removing too much. What is the best tool for getting off just the right amount? Or is it best to take all off and replaster?
Thanks for your suggestions :eek:)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's hard to say without seeing it. You could use a scraper and when you're down to the right depth give it a good coat of primer. Don't worry too much about low spots because you can fill with rapid set adhesive. In the past I've found it easier to take it back to block and fix cement board - all depends on what kind of condition the old plaster is in. (though it sounds like you're describing a sand cement render that's not too clever)

J

JennyB

Thank you for your response.
I practiced above the washbasin, pulling old tiles off, getting rid of all the loose plaster then replastering and putting new tiles on.
I will upload photos (can't seem to on my phone).

J

JennyB

The first is a photo of the wall around the bath. Not as much plaster has come off yet.
The second photo is of the wall behind the sink where I removed lots of loose plaster.

WP_010328.jpg WP_010254.jpg

W

White Room

Your not going to be able to reduce the thickness of the render, any scraping will make it weaker.

Look like a possible lime mortar which will be powdery, if after pulling a row of tiles off and it's that bad the rest doesn't have long life span either.

Reply to Removing Sandy Plaster Before Re Tiling Single Row Above New Bath in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay