Search the forum,

Discuss Removing old adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

No problem!
Adhesive depends on what you can get locally, something reputable such as Mapei, tilemaster, or ultra, you want a rapid set flexible adhesive.
Probably a 10mm x 10mm square notch trowel,
Spread it as i have in the pic to an even bed, don't mix it stiff. I'm sure some one else will confirm

O

Old Mod

Yeah as long as you don't have height issues, then the easier way is to just overboard as Andy says.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. When you say height issues, is that in relation to the clearance between the bathroom and the bedroom (which is carpeted)? How can I check this?

Our current tiles are 10mm thick and approx 5mm adhesive, so 15mm in total. If don't grind the existing adhesive, I could end up with a depth of approx 30mm (existing adhesive 5mm, new adhesive 3mm, 6mm hardiebacker, 5mm adhesive, and 10mm tile.

Does the above calculation make sense?

Reaction score
Regarding the adhesive, will this do:

Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set Tile Adhesive Grey 20kg | Wickes.co.uk - http://www.wickes.co.uk/Mapei-Mapeker-Rapid-Set-Tile-Adhesive-Grey-20kg/p/102976

Think I need 6 bags (approx 30m2)

Will I be able to use the above to:

1. Attach hardiebacker to existing floor.
2. Attach floor tiles to hardiebacker.
3. Attach wall tiles to existing platerboard and new hardiebacker in shower enclosure?

I'm a bit wary that some of the reviews say it sets very quickly. This will be my 1st tiling job and I would prefer something that gives me a bi more time to get the tiles on.

F

Flintstone

It is suitable yes but yes it will last about 40 mins once mixed. They should do a slow set version that will last several hour in the bucket.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a bit of advice (isn't everyone).

We need to completely overhaul our upstairs ensuite bathroom.

I've managed to remove all of the tiles and the old shower and enclosure.

What's left is the adhesive on the flooring. It just doesn't want to come up (as can be seen from the pics).

What are my options to get this in a fit state to begin tiling?

A friend who is a builder mentioned putting down 6mm hardiebacker? If I were to do this, do I have to put some form of adhesive down to level the existing floor and to attach the hardiebacker to?

Is the above the best option, or are there others?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

View attachment 89745 View attachment 89746
PersonallyI'd use a grinder with a cup grinder attachment linked up to a vacuum

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is how it's done brother

P1110959.JPG P1110960.JPG P1110961.JPG P1110962.JPG P1110963.JPG P1110964.JPG P1110965.JPG P1110966.JPG

Reaction score
I've ordered a grinding cup and some masking tape to tape up the door.

Will hopefully give it a go on the weekend. I'll report back to let you know how I got on!

O

Old Mod

Don't buy rapid set adhesive, you will invariably throw away more than you use, especially as a first timer.
It has no place in wall tiling anyway, there are exceptions of course, but not in your case.
You are aware that hardibacker is NOT waterproof aren't you?
It has to be tanked before tiling.
There are more efficient ways of building a shower cubicle.

Reply to Removing old adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen