Search the forum,

Discuss Removing old adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a bit of advice (isn't everyone).

We need to completely overhaul our upstairs ensuite bathroom.

I've managed to remove all of the tiles and the old shower and enclosure.

What's left is the adhesive on the flooring. It just doesn't want to come up (as can be seen from the pics).

What are my options to get this in a fit state to begin tiling?

A friend who is a builder mentioned putting down 6mm hardiebacker? If I were to do this, do I have to put some form of adhesive down to level the existing floor and to attach the hardiebacker to?

Is the above the best option, or are there others?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2066.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So far I've tried an sds chisel bit, hammer and bolster, wood chisel and finally a screwdriver.

Whilst I was having some success with the chisel and screwdriver, it still wasn't taking it all up, so I would have been left with an uneven floor?

O

Old Mod

Close bathroom door, open windows, wet the floor, get an angle grinder and a grinding cup, and you'll have it done in 30mins. Messy but effective.

If you think that's bad, look what I walked in to this morning after builder messed floor up.
IMG_9134.JPG IMG_9137.JPG IMG_9138.JPG

Now that's what you call a tough job to get adhesive up! Haha

Reaction score
Never used an angle grinder before, but I can borrow one off a mate.

Can you recommend a grinder cup for the job?

When you say wet the floor, how wet should it be?

Thanks in advance.

O

Old Mod

Something like this:

Grinding cup

I can not stress enough how messy this is, tape up gap around door, wear MASK, EYE PROTECTION & GLOVES!
Go tentively at first to see how much pressure to use, you WILL tear up the ply if you're too heavy handed!

If you've never used a grinder I'd suggest you give Geoff's idea above a go first, soak the adhesive with water and use a bladed scraper, not a paint scraper.

Bladed scraper

Reply to Removing old adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen