Discuss Removal of excess Mapei grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

kareng

My husband has just grouted our new ceramic kitchen wall tiles using Mapei Ultracolour Plus grout.

Unfortunately he didn't remove the excess grout quickly enough, and we are now left with lots of tiles with grout deposits on them.

He has tried scraping it away, using a wallpaper steamer and also nail polish remover. This has got the grout off the tile face, but we're now left with thick and unsightly excesses between each tile.

Before he spends several days scraping away, does anyone have any other ideas on how to quickly get rid of the grout?

As our 2nd child is due in a fortnight speed is of the essence here - so anything we can buy in the major stores rather than mail order would be preferable.

Many thanks
Karen

C

charlie1

Hi Karren,

There is no easy way to remove this grout i'm afraid. Your best bet would be to buy the bosch mui tool with grout removal bit from b&Q about 60 quid and then regrout or buy a grout rake.

C

CBTC

Hi Karen,
Its difficult to judge how much grout residue you have on the tiles, and also what type of tile face finish it is - these variables will have an impact on how difficult it is to get the stuff off. If you call some of your local tile shops - rather than B&Q type stores - one at least will sell various product ranges of liquids, one of which will be grout haze or residue remover. Now it isnt all that easy, and does require elbow grease but it wont harm the tiles and might get them back to normal.
Also get white and blue scotch pads ( nylon abrasive pads ) to really agitate the grout. It might take a few goes of the process - wet tiles, apply solution, scub, clean off with clean water- but give it a go.
If it really is thick lumps over the surface this wont clear it for sure, but it would be worth getting it and applying it before using scrapers etc to try and get the majority of it off. The final stages would then be the cleaning as described above. If you are using tools or abrasive papers etc to clean back there is the risk of damaging the tiles im afraid.
Good luck

Sorry reread and see you have dealt with the face, the proper product would probably still make it better still. Yes as above a Bosch or Fein tool is the only easy way to get it back out, maybe a Dremel small tool?

Last edited by a moderator:

wayne

TF
Reaction score
good luck getting it off. i had to chisel some off a floor edge where i was putting skirtings on. it sets more solid than any grout i know

A

Alberta Stone

The only product that really works is an acid.
Grout is alkali and so try a strong vinegar and a white synthetic scrubbie.
Sometimes, depending on the tile you can use a brillo pad without scratching the surface, but test that first.
If the vinegar doesn't work your only hope is muriatic acid.
Just wear full acid protection gear when you do or it will hurt you.
(Nitrile gloves, full face shield, acid rated gas mask, long sleeves or better a rain slicker, plus good ventilation. Also put down plastic with tape where necessary to protect against spatter)

Reply to Removal of excess Mapei grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks