Search the forum,

Discuss porcelain tiles showing some mottled marks after cleaning? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

X

xelaris

I'm a bit worried that a cheap deal from ebay is proving to be more costly than expected...
The tiles were looking amazing initially but after using a Swarfega hand cleaner on them some mottled mark started appearing from nowhere - the tiles are dark grey and the marks are lighter - it appears that porcelain tiles are coated with a wax layer....could be this a case where the mild abrasive action of Swarfega has removed the wax in certain areas? If so, and if indeed the tiles are covered with wax, shall I keep cleaning in order to remove the wax completely? Or shall I re-wax the tiles?
These are Porcelanosa tiles and should be of good quality....the marks don't look like scratches to me but these are visible.

D

DHTiling

Some polished porcs do have transit wax on them , ring porcelenosa and give them the tile name and they will let you know.
But by your description it is transit wax and that needs to be removed and then the tiles sealed.

X

xelaris

Some polished porcs do have transit wax on them , ring porcelenosa and give them the tile name and they will let you know.
But by your description it is transit wax and that needs to be removed and then the tiles sealed.

I've contacted Porcelanosa....they say to contact the one who sold the tiles to me (as to say: "you aren't covered and we got no time for you cos' you bought them from eBay and not from us directly" (bugger)....can't contact the guy from eBay right now.
So, I started to wonder whether this marks are removable at all - these are really stubborn and any attempt proved to be pointless (I'm going to try some alkaline solutions properly made for the job)....could these be "scratches" which have been covered/waxed by the ebay seller? So, cosmetic wax instead the wax normally associated with porcelain is a protective one applied to the back, which sometimes shows also on the front of the tile.

M

Marksmithtiling

Before using any products not designed for the job go to a tile retailer, with an offcut or spare tile,and show them, they will be able to supply the correct product.

X

xelaris

Are these polished porcelain tiles then?

If so was the tiles cleaned/stripped of the transit wax prior to grouting?

These are matted dark grey (Porcelanosa Urban range - model: Graphic Nature.

The marks appear randomly on the surface mostly grouped in an area but often away from the border and so I don't think this has anything to do with the grouting - beside the grout is black and the marks are lighter than the tiles' dark grey...

I'll see if I can take a picture of the problem....

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I picture would perhaps help a little. Looking at the Porcelanosa website these tiles have an effect that you're describing, from the picture. Maybe these specs were masked by grout residue in the first place?

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Theres no transit wax on them tiles i use them all the time,but graphic nature are black not gray and when water hits them they tend to leave water stains ,they are a pain to keep clean,just out of intrest why did you use swarfega on them?

X

xelaris

100_1017.jpg 100_1021.jpg 100_1022.jpg

a few picture of the problem....the mottled marks are quite visible.

Reply to porcelain tiles showing some mottled marks after cleaning? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen