Search the forum,

Discuss porcelain tiles showing some mottled marks after cleaning? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

X

xelaris

I'm a bit worried that a cheap deal from ebay is proving to be more costly than expected...
The tiles were looking amazing initially but after using a Swarfega hand cleaner on them some mottled mark started appearing from nowhere - the tiles are dark grey and the marks are lighter - it appears that porcelain tiles are coated with a wax layer....could be this a case where the mild abrasive action of Swarfega has removed the wax in certain areas? If so, and if indeed the tiles are covered with wax, shall I keep cleaning in order to remove the wax completely? Or shall I re-wax the tiles?
These are Porcelanosa tiles and should be of good quality....the marks don't look like scratches to me but these are visible.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Through bodied porcelain is the same colour from face to back but porcelain bodied tiles with applied finish are not ...

Exactly. Anyone thats ever chipped the cut on a tile running it through the wetsaw would recognise it. Some tiles that aren't full bodied (don't know if that's the correct term but a porcelain tile that pattern and colour runs the same throughout is what i call "full bodied") have a white undercoat under the coloured finish layer on the tile. I think what's happened here is the cleaner has "thinned" the top layer and the lighter marks are the "undercoat" showing through what's left of the finish coat.

I hope that all makes sense. If i can re-create the "chip" at work this week i'll take a picture and post it.

X

xelaris

Exactly. Anyone thats ever chipped the cut on a tile running it through the wetsaw would recognise it. Some tiles that aren't full bodied (don't know if that's the correct term but a porcelain tile that pattern and colour runs the same throughout is what i call "full bodied") have a white undercoat under the coloured finish layer on the tile. I think what's happened here is the cleaner has "thinned" the top layer and the lighter marks are the "undercoat" showing through what's left of the finish coat.

I hope that all makes sense. If i can re-create the "chip" at work this week i'll take a picture and post it.

Maybe you are right...this Porcelanosa model (Graphic Nature) is full bodied porcelain but the top looks slightly darker (quite noticeable if viewed from the "thickness" side). In fairness, the texture doesn't seem to have been affected - no scratches as such - but maybe the "finishing" has been partially washed or weakened by the cleaning.

btw: I've tried to clean a spare tile (same model) with Swarfega and also some other cleaners and I can't reproduce the same damage...

X

xelaris

Update:
I bought another box from the Porcelanosa showroom in Manchester (not any Ebay seller)....all the new tiles present this "defective" mottled/spotty pattern - maybe this is how these tiles were designed?....it might just be a question of taste?! If so, why the Ebay seller tried to cover up the original "design"?
Anyone keen on these mottled theme? Not me, nor someone I know who went to scrub the tiles thinking it was some wax residue....
There is no definite conclusion to this mystery....either the design is a bit of a hit and miss (more of a miss in my opinion)...or at Porcelanosa someone decided to smuggle some defective batches here in Manchester.

Reply to porcelain tiles showing some mottled marks after cleaning? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

Advertisement