Discuss Porcelain floor tiles direct to screed on wet UFH without DITRA in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd rather have customers like you that are open and willing to these products than the ones that are not wanting to spend it when they are actually required.

As for screwing folk out of money is it really a screw over when the mat is physically there and the labour has been provided to install it? What have they been screwed out over? Hardly a great money making scheme installing a mat. Isn't a great earner for me anyway 🤷‍♂️
bit it isn't needed, in this situation is it...?
99% of tilers on this thread have said it isn't needed, or are they all wrong..?
if your on about different makes of tiles, then this isn't what this thread is about, is it.
some tilers do screw customers over using ditra with PORCELAIN TILES when it's not necessary.
and it's not just the fitting cost, you have the cost of the mat, and the adhesive, you may not make much out of it but the customer is still getting screwed for the extra cost.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
No it isn't NEEDED with the PORCELAIN TILES however i'd class being screwed over as being charged for something that isn't there or hadn't been done, or at an inflated price even, the mat is still physically there. The customer said in passing he would have still have perhaps liked the mat now he knows about it and still got jumped on about money saving, it's just the flip side we get when trying to tell people to use mat, for the sake of helping prevent any issues it will only be x amount to help protect your tiles, it's now just the customer saying it and now us.

In this exact situation i didn't say it was needed nor did i say everyone was wrong, if like in this situation ( albeit hindsight now) the customer had suggested he wanted matting before i'd still happily fit it not thinking i was screwing them over because its not needed with PORCELAIN TILES, they aren't being screwed when it's something they have given the option to pay for and chosen it. That's my point

J

J Sid

I'd be interested to know if the customer would still want it and be happy to pay the £25 to £30 m2 extra

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The op here has already said in hindsight he would have fitted it for belts and braces approach, i'm just assuming they looked at the product and seen the cost of it and it wasn't an issue to them.

Reaction score
Sounds like the tiler did the right thing. My only question would be on incorporated movement joints across the floor. Was this done, as if not, a heated floor can certainly cause fractures?

Aaabbb

-
Reaction score
Only a couple of small things I would’ve done extra ..
Your tiler didn’t seem to sand the floor with a square buff sander ( hire shop )to take off the residue (scum) that tends to happen on curing with a lot of liquid screeds with UFH or after vacuuming I would have washed it with clean water to remove any dust the vacuum didn’t get , allowed to dry and then prime ...
Turn that heat on gently and ..
Hopefully you don’t have any problems with it

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Only a couple of small things I would’ve done extra ..
Your tiler didn’t seem to sand the floor with a square buff sander ( hire shop )to take off the residue (scum) that tends to happen on curing with a lot of liquid screeds with UFH or after vacuuming I would have washed it with clean water to remove any dust the vacuum didn’t get , allowed to dry and then prime ...
Turn that heat on gently and ..
Hopefully you don’t have any problems with it
Never heard of a "square buff sander". Is that special?

Reply to Porcelain floor tiles direct to screed on wet UFH without DITRA in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks