Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Floor Tiles Concrete Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Tyler

-
Reaction score
Planning to lay some 60cm x 60cm porcelain floor tiles onto my kitchen concrete floor

Do I need to treat the floor with anything before or can I lay straight on to it?

Also looking for advice on a good adhesive to use and I’m also hoping to use white grout. From what I’ve read I need to use an epoxy white grout to avoid discolouring, but have also read it’s a pain to use which I presume is due to it going off fast?

Finally I need to purchase a cutter, would wet or dry cutters be best to use (I have a budget up to approx £250 for the cutter) and can anyone recommend a good one suitable for this

Thanks

Attachments

• C7B8EBC1-DEB2-454D-9B7D-3C49BD4F34A5.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Prime the floor first with either dilute SBR or Mapei Primer G. I'd advise against a white grout on the floor, will just discolour pretty quick, are those tiles white? They look ivory coloured in the pic? Epoxy grout would be one option if you really wanted white grout but just a lot more work involved.
Regarding the tile cutter, depends on whether any cut edges will be visible? Skirting boards going on top.. Etc can see some will go under the kitchen units. But would opt for a manual cutter for the straight cuts and a angle grinder for any L shape cuts (score first and cut inside the scoreline to minimise chipping). Maybe hire a cutter if only going to be used for that one job.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Grind or clean off any bond breakers so the thinset can bond well to the slab and you are good to go. White grout is often an issue, less so with epoxy. Score and snap cutters and a grinder are the most cost effective route to take.

J

J Sid

Planning to lay some 60cm x 60cm porcelain floor tiles onto my kitchen concrete floor

Do I need to treat the floor with anything before or can I lay straight on to it?

Also looking for advice on a good adhesive to use and I’m also hoping to use white grout. From what I’ve read I need to use an epoxy white grout to avoid discolouring, but have also read it’s a pain to use which I presume is due to it going off fast?

Finally I need to purchase a cutter, would wet or dry cutters be best to use (I have a budget up to approx £250 for the cutter) and can anyone recommend a good one suitable for this

Thanks
For £250 you could get a professional in to do the job, you supply the materials they recommend.

G

GoneGuy

As @JulianSidney said maybe worth getting a proffesional in.
If you decide to do it yourself you need to vac the floor of any dust and high spots and prime with either sbr or use the adhesive manufacturer recommended one.
Use a standard set adhesive, as with the grout if you really want white either epoxy or cement based grout and put a sealer on top of it

Tyler

-
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!

I've had a better look at the concrete floor and its not 100% flat, it has a few high and low sections which vary by approx 10mm.
I was planning to adjust the adhesive as necessary to level, however now i'm tempted to completely level the floor with self leveling compound which may be easier overall and possibly get a better finish - thinking of using Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 Self-Levelling Floor Compound 20kg - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-ultimate-leveller-1210-self-levelling-floor-compound-20kg/4377v.

I'll use the Mapei Primer G as advised, if i do use the self leveling compound should i use the Mapei primer both before using the SLC and also on top of the SLC before tiling so the floor is primed for both the SLC and also the tile adhesive?

As for getting a professional in, i've got a fair bit of tiling to do. Initially 35 sq meters floor (this project) and then in the next few months downstairs toilet walls, ensuite shower, floor and walls and main bathroom floor and walls so trying to save a few pennies and do it myself hence why i dont mind investing in a fairly good cutter as it will get used on the different projects

G

GoneGuy

Vac the floor apply primer and slc then when dry prime and tile.
Find the high spots and mark the low spots with packers so you don’t over pour in one area

Reply to Porcelain Floor Tiles Concrete Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen