Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Polypipe Overlay in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aruffell

After finally getting through all of the struggles, it seems that the Polypipe Overlay system is going to be perfect for the job that we need.

One thing that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to though is tiling on top of it as it's made from a bonded concrete solution I believe and Polypipe say to tile directly onto it.

Then I saw this post - Polypipe Overlay System

Is this the best way? I'm guessing the makeup would be:

Tile
Flexible Adhesive
Ditra
Flexible Adhesive
Latex
Polypipe overlay

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

J

J Sid

You need to speak to the manufacturers of the system you are use and the will tell you what has been test for there ufh.
No two Systems seam to be the same in price and tile fixing method.
Have you a link to your chosen system?

B

Bill

I did a job on Polypipe boards last October - the manufacturer said s1 type adhesive is fine. I am a bit dubious about it but that is what the customer ordered. Tiles are still fixed but I would prime the boards with a couple of coats of the adhesive primer at about 4:1 ratio

Reaction score
tiling to the polypipe boards is fine, so they say. The issue is fitting the polypipe boards. Usually they are just chucked on the floor, unfixed, bouncing around, floating I'd say.

So, getting them fixed securely is the start...

Reaction score
Prime surface with TM Primeplus
Lay Decoupler/Anti fracture Mat (with either TM Ultimate or TM Setaflex)
Fix Tiles with TM Ulitmate or Setaflex
Grout with TM Grout 3000 with flexi master added

still what i would recommend.

O

Old Mod

tiling to the polypipe boards is fine, so they say. The issue is fitting the polypipe boards. Usually they are just chucked on the floor, unfixed, bouncing around, floating I'd say.

So, getting them fixed securely is the start...
Polypipe is supposed to be a loose lay system, with the ends of the boards glued together.
It's the installers responsibility to lay the boards to a flat load bearing surface.
If only......

O

Old Mod

The last conversation I had with Polypipe they informed me that their system was to be loose laid to a perfectly flat, solid, deflection free load bearing substrate.
The ends of the boards are to be glued together formimg one large board.
This coupled with the sheer weight of pipes and water are what holds it in place. There was no need to mechanically fix it.
If fitted to timber floor it can be discreetly screwed to help against deflection.

Page 76

J

J Sid

Prime surface with TM Primeplus
Lay Decoupler/Anti fracture Mat (with either TM Ultimate or TM Setaflex)
Fix Tiles with TM Ulitmate or Setaflex
Grout with TM Grout 3000 with flexi master added

still what i would recommend.
Other adhesive manufacturers products and uncoupling mats available. ;)

A

Aruffell

Not quite sure I understand? The hardie backer boards are concrete based so conduct heat really well.

Andy

O

Old Mod

So I was sent this by James Hardie and also Polypipe sent it to me too.

Thing is to my knowledge, neither Polypipe nor JamesHardie lay tiles for a living, and that's the reason taking their advice alone can be hazardous.
What BOTH fail to mention is that the overlay boards are
cellulose-fibre-gypsum boards and need Preping accordingly.

Reply to Polypipe Overlay in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks